Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
well the name says it all, much help needed. I was given a Dell PC and it has Linux on it. I have no idea how to do anything!!!! I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Convert Linux to XP....Please help

well the name says it all, much help needed. I was given a Dell PC and it has Linux on it. I have no idea how to do anything!!!! I can't even login. Therefore i'd like to convert the box over to XP. can anyone please help me on how i can do this. I tried to install XP, by booting from the cd but nothing happens. Please help.

When you say nothing happens, do you get the "Press Any Key" prompt? If not, the BIOS is not set to boot from CD.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

More than likely you just need to tell the PC to boot from the CDROM first, then the harddrive. When you inserted the XP disc and booted, did you see something saying: "Press any key to boot from CD"?

To set your computer to boot from CD you'll need to change a setting in your BIOS, which can be accessed by hitting a certain key right when you boot (usually F8 or DELETE) in order to bring up a menu that has various hardware settings for your computer. You're looking for something like "boot order" or "boot devices". Make sure your first boot device is the CDROM drive, and your second is your harddrive.

That being said, are you actually interested in learning how to use the Linux that came with it, or are you just looking to go back to what's familiar to you (XP)?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    You might try using a Knoppix CD to delete all the partitions on the drive, then try again with booting your WinXP CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozar
    You might try using a Knoppix CD to delete all the partitions on the drive, then try again with booting your WinXP CD.
    That shouldn't be necessary as long as you're able to boot from XP disc. The XP installer has a partitioning tool that would allow them to delete the existing partitions. Not to mention, if they can't boot from a CD, they won't be able to boot to Knoppix either.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

oz
    forum.guy
    Don't know why it happens, but I've run across lots of cases where people can't boot the WinXP CD because of Linux being on the drive. When they delete the partitions, it seems to work. Weird, but true...

Yeah, if he can't boot from "any" CD, the Knoppix CD wouldn't help.

Just Joined!
    I did get the "hit any key to boot from cd" but then it just sits there, black screen. I can check the bios, but i know i got the question about booting from the cd. I'm just interested in going back to XP, my comfortzone. thanks for the help.

Have you verified that the install disk works in other machines?
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Ozar
    Don't know why it happens, but I've run across lots of cases where people can't boot the WinXP CD because of Linux being on the drive. When they delete the partitions, it seems to work. Weird, but true...
    I've seen the same thing, I normally boot from a floppy with DRDos, and use gdisk to delete the partitions, and reset the MBR.

Just Joined!
    yup the cd works on other pc's.

thanks for the help winter.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast