Find the answer to your Linux question:

Thread: Slave Drive

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Slave Drive

Hi I have a slave drive which I want to install Linux to. I know nothing about partitioning but a friend of mine told me to get Partition Magic and I did. Now I need to know how to install Linux on my slave drive which is NTFS (all I know is Linux doesnt write to this format) PLz help.

Pretty much any linux installer will have a partitioning tool that can format your slave drive to a linux-compatible format. Bear in mind that you should have at least a swap partition (usually 1.5-2x the amount of memory in your system) and a / (root) partition for linux.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

what is a swap partition (usually 1.5-2x the amount of memory in your system) and a / (root) partition for linux??
    Should I do these partitions with Partition Magic?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You don't have to use Partition Magic. Your linux installer should walk you through creating them. Which distro are you thinking of trying, by the way?

The swap partition is basically the linux equivalent of your Windows page file; when your system runs out of physical memory, it uses that hard drive space as memory.

The / partition is the basic partition that you would install linux to; / is the mount point for that partition.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Many programs suggest that you only use partition magic for creating a partition within the free space for Linux to reside let the Linux program sub-divide that partition as reqd.