Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, Just wonder out of linspire and mandrake 9.2 which would be better for a fairly new linux user? I used linspire for about two weeks and didn't have any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Distro selection

Hey, Just wonder out of linspire and mandrake 9.2 which would be better for a fairly new linux user? I used linspire for about two weeks and didn't have any problems (apart from installing my ATI graphics drivers, HUGE problems there..)

Are there any distinct disadvantages to using mandrake over linspire? and vice versa.. Has anyone else had problems installing ATI graphics drivers on linspire? I had CNR and Win4Lin working perfectly on linspire (All programs worked, apart from anythign that required 3D drivers)

oz
    forum.guy
    If you can get free copies of both, I'd say try them both. I've never used Linspire, but Mandrake is certainly easy enough for most anyone wanting to try Linux.

Good luck with it!

Linux Engineer
    I can sum up Linspire in one word: TERRIBLE
    I've heard the new Mandrivas are really unorganized so go ahead with the old Mandrake, or get the new version of another distro.

Just Joined!
    Hmm yeah i've got a copy of them both (My dad likes linux, has full CNR access and Win4Lin) I've tried Linspire before so i'll give mandrake a try, Has anyone with an ATI graphics card tried installing drivers? (On linspire it screws up and wont boot up - have to reformat ;x )

Linux Engineer
    You'll probably have problems with newer ATI cards with any distro, but my Radeon 9100 needs no drivers even for Nexuiz on Fedora.

Just Joined!
    Hmm damnit, Ive got a radeon 9550 and when ever I try to install drivers *needed to play anything..* on linspire it reboots then decides it wont load the login menu so I have to reformatt :S

Im going to try install linspire on my laptop (My mandrake disc is a DVD, laptop doesnt have dvd drive ) then install mandrake on my desktop