Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I just searched and found out that you have an onboard Realtek 8201BL NIC (Network Interface Card). The bad news is that it doesn't have a good reputation for working ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I just searched and found out that you have an onboard Realtek 8201BL NIC (Network Interface Card). The bad news is that it doesn't have a good reputation for working within in Linux., in fact I haven't found where anyone has gotten it to work.

Just Joined!
    Hmm....I will have to see if that is really my card. I didn't buy the normal one..It might be different! Can I see what it is in Knoppix?

Did you purchase a seperate NIC card or is it part of the motherboard? Did you run YaST and configure the network card like I suggested earlier?

Just Joined!
    Yeh it was already set for DHCP And my ISP is made for DHCP I am guessing...ANYWAYS...Come onto IRC my getting help is on fire there.

Are you connected through a router or directly to the modem?

Just Joined!
    D I R E C T
    XD I wish I could go war drivin'...

Linux Engineer
    the RealTek RTL 8219/8139 kernel module should support that card no probelm. anyway as he says it works somtimes so support for the card is clearly not the problem. if the interface is not working you can do this to automaticaly reconfigure it:

"killall dhcpcd && dhcpcd eth0"

it should receive an adress from the router or isp, if you are connecting the linux computer to a windows computer which is acting as the internet gatway then you will have more work to do to get the conenction working because windows has a broken dhcp server which by default wont allow linux computers to connect properly.

Just Joined!
    Where the heck do I input these commands damnit? I cannot find some root or anything! And DHCPCD Does NOT work in ANY consoles. It is never reconized as a command

First off--calm down. Stop fighting SUSE. Install Knoppix instead. It's a good distribution to start off with, although it's not nearly as maintainable as Mepis or Kanotix (other Knoppix variants which are closer to true Debian).

With a Debian style Knoppix hard drive install, you will learn the pleasures of Debian's superb package management system.

With a newbie, the most important thing in a Linux distribution is, "Does it automatically detect/configure MY hardware?" With Knoppix or a Knoppix variant like Mepis, the answer to that question is usually YES.

Second--your problems probably stem from DHCP issues rather than anything else. Basically, DHCP is a protocol with which your computer gets assigned an IP address by your ISP (since you're connecting directly). There are limits defined by your ISP's DHCP server on how often it will give you a new IP address and how long you have to wait for the old one to time out. Since most of this is completely outside of your control, it can be very difficult for you to troubleshoot.

Basically, if it's working with Knoppix you should stick with Knoppix for now. The actual way to reach the Knoppix hard drive installer is non-obvious, unfortunately, and it somewhat depends on which version of Knoppix you're using. This is because Knoppix is designed primarily as a LiveCD and the hard drive install is something of an afterthought.

In contrast, SimplyMepis is designed from the outset to be both a liveCD AND a hard drive install CD. Unless your system has less than 160megs of RAM, I suggest installing Mepis instead of Knoppix.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Linux Enthusiast
    When you configure your NIC from YAST, is it detected. If so, then edit configuration by
    telling it to use DHCP. Then reboot (power down/power up) your modem and see if you got the connection. Try also rebooting your SuSE.

Good luck!
    Pavlo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast