Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Well, my Mandriva LE 2005 has killed itself again for the second time within 2 months. It seems that it unmounts the drives by itself and won't remount them again ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandriva is not treating me well... What else is there?

Well, my Mandriva LE 2005 has killed itself again for the second time within 2 months. It seems that it unmounts the drives by itself and won't remount them again until it feels like it. The sound has stopped working, and my winmodem has never worked. (Which I know is a Linux wide problem, but its more of a hardware problem.) Anyway, what else is there that is user and beginner friendly? I had Ubuntu (Warty Release) before, but it is out of date too and is not exactly 56k friendly. I want something where I can get the CDs (or DVDs) and not have to download too much yet is really feature rich and easy to install like Mandriva. I currently do not have the $100.00 for SuSE 9.3 although I want it. What else should I try? I cant download but one distro I think. I was thinking Slackware because I've always heard good things about it, but is it easy to install and configure? And does it have as many features? Should I download SuSE 9.2?

Try either SimplyMepis 3.3.2 Test02 or MepisLite 3.3.2 Tes02. My Agere Winmodem works perfectly using the SimplyMepis iso. Seeing that you're from Alabama, the GaTech site should be fast.

ftp://ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu/pub/li...mepis/testing/

Edited to add: My Winmodem also works in SuSE 9.2/9.3

Slackware isn't nearly as hard to install and configure as it has sometimes been purported to be, and it has really good hardware detection. You might want to check out BeatrIX though. I have it on my hard drive, and have been impressed with it's ability to see and configure all types of hardware. Good thing is, you can try it from cd just like Ubuntu, (which it is based on) and if all goes well, then install it to HD. Id also have a serious look at SimplyMepis.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    I think I will go with SuSE 9.2 it seems to be quite feature rich, and I've used a lot of Novell software, and have had nothing but good luck with it. While Mepis and Beatrix are probably good alternatives, I want something that already comes with a good ammount of packages and repositories. I can't download it here, but will probably go somewhere and download it tomorrow.

SuSE would have been my first recommendation, but you said you didn't want to fork out the cash.

Oh well.... All's well that ends well...

Just Joined!
    I would DEFINITELY recommend SuSE. It was pretty stable and was really new-user-friendly with plenty of advanced features. (The only reason I'm not using it now is because it runs too slowly on my very old machine).

You can get SuSE 9.3 - all five Cd's - for $9.95 at:

http://linuxcd.org/view_distro.php?l...2&id_distro=46

They ship pretty fast, too. I have ordered several distros from them.

Linux Newbie
    go debian.................if you want suse......then go for the latest release

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    Have you used the distro chooser?
    http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

this is sweeeeeet
    regards,
    ordoni

Pretty accurate too. There's a thread here somewhere about it, and most everyone seem to think it was right on the mark for their preferences in a distro.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast