Find the answer to your Linux question:
HI all, Im new to this forum and to linux. I would like to set up my box to act as ftp server. Linux redhat supplies vsftp which i am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FTP Server help

HI all, Im new to this forum and to linux.

I would like to set up my box to act as ftp server. Linux redhat supplies vsftp which i am trying to implement. According to the documentation this is what i should be using. I have configured it based on the documentation found on the redhat site.

My question is...how do i get the IP address of the FTP server so i can access it from my PC. I have tried taking addresses from command netstat -rn and i have also tried to take some of the dns address assigned to me through comcast. Am i anywhere close to being on the right track? Or am i missing something?

Do i need anything else besides vsftp set up to run the actual server? Perhaps apache?

Thanks for all of your help in advance.

Linux User
    Code:
    ifconfig
    oh all ye need is vsftp, nothing elsew but make sure your firewall is up.
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Just Joined!
    Thanks alot for the help. Ifconfig helped out...

But i tried to log in to the ftp server with a user name and password that i set up but it does not let me log in. WHy is this. Is there something i need to do further to make it so i can log in with a created user other than root? I have anonymous login=no. and local=yes