Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I need to make a linux boot disk. I used mkbootdisk and I made a bootdisk with the correct kernel. Whenever it boots up though it doesn't seem to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Bootdisk

Hello,

I need to make a linux boot disk. I used mkbootdisk and I made a bootdisk with the correct kernel. Whenever it boots up though it doesn't seem to work. The disk boots but after loading the vmlinuz says that it didnt work and that you should put in another disk and reboot.

Any ideas of how I can troubleshoot this?

Thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    What distro are you using?

You can use a Knoppix Live-CD, or SystemRescueCD to boot your LILO box.

Just Joined!
    I'm not using LILO. And I am am using Whitebox Linux. I can boot with the rescue cd and use "linux rescue" but I would like to get it booting from the hard drive which it wont do. Its weird because when I hook the hard drive up to a faster computer it will run fine but with this computer (P2 400 with 64mb RAM) it won't boot and just gives me an "INVALID SYSTEM DISK" error. I try to use a boot disk and that doesnt work either.

oz
    forum.guy
    Sorry... I'm a bit confused. In the first post you said you need to make a boot disk, but then in your next post you said you want to make the hard drive bootable, or at least that's the way I read it. Anyway, the Live-CDs mentioned above will also boot a failed GRUB install, or they will install GRUB to the hard drive.

If you can post your /boot/grub/menu.lst file, some of us can take a look to see if there are errors in it.

Just Joined!
    Sorry to confuse you

Yeah I have posted my grub list here, http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-51558.html. No one was able to help I guess . I want to make the hard drive bootable but I dont think I can. That is why I want to make a boot disk.

oz
    forum.guy
    Ok, I responded in the other thread so we can keep all that info together.