Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Originally Posted by Drauch SO far I have gotten tons of help and have decided to Stick with SuSe AMD 64, Cedora, and Point2Play. Now for my last question. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Re: Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Drauch
    SO far I have gotten tons of help and have decided to Stick with SuSe AMD 64, Cedora, and Point2Play. Now for my last question. I have an Asus K8V SE Deluxe Mobo and was looking to find drivers. I have searched myself with no luck.... even the manufacturers websites. Can anyone help me with this?
    What exactly do you need drivers for? Are there integrated peripherals on your board that aren't working? What chipset does the K8V SE Deluxe use? I have a K8V-x and it's a K8T800 VIA chipset.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux User
    if your up for it, gentoo is probobly the best "gaming distro", and theres only one reson for that, its optimized to your computer. You will get much beter performance with it than most. But it is a very complicated installation, and if your new to linux, it will probobly be to hard for you.

Just Joined!

Specs

Form Factor ATX

Compatibility PC

Chipset VIA K8T800

Compatible Processors AMD Athlon 64

Front Side Bus Speed 800 MHz
    Technical Features
    Storage Controller Type(s) DMA/ATA-133 (Ultra) x 3, Serial ATA x 4

South Bridge Chip VIA VT8237

Integrated Input/Output Ports USB 2.0 x 8 Serial Port x 2 FireWire (IEEE1394a) x 2 RJ45 Lan Port x 1 PS/2 Mouse x 1 PS/2 Keyboard x 1 Parallel Port (ECP/EPP/SPP) x 1 Game/MIDI Connector x 1

Expansion Slots AGP x8 x 1 PCI x 5

RAID Support RAID 0 RAID 1 RAID 0+1
    Processor
    Socket Type Socket 754

Max supported CPUs qty 1
    Memory
    Max Supported RAM 3 GB

Memory Type DDR SDRAM

Number of Memory Slots 3 x 184 Pin DIMMs

Supported RAM speeds 400 MHz 333 MHz 266 MHz
    Audio / Video
    Video Interface AGP 8x

Audio Output SPDIF Out Line Out

Integrated Audio ADI 1980

Audio Input 1 x Line In
    Communication
    Networking Type Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, Fast Ethernet
    It's a Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet controller. I'm not sure if it comes with the drivers on SuSe. I'm looking for a whole system switch.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by a12ctic
    if your up for it, gentoo is probobly the best "gaming distro", and theres only one reson for that, its optimized to your computer. You will get much beter performance with it than most. But it is a very complicated installation, and if your new to linux, it will probobly be to hard for you.
    I think it's worth a shot. I'll download a guide.... what file formats does it use?

Just Joined!
    File format's as in package managers? It doesn't have a specific package. But it has a manager that will download and compile programs for you.

more info here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portage_%28software%29

I wouldn't even bother trying to play windows games on linux. :/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilanth
    File format's as in package managers? It doesn't have a specific package. But it has a manager that will download and compile programs for you.

more info here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portage_%28software%29

I wouldn't even bother trying to play windows games on linux. :/
    I meant like .tgz .rpm etc etc.

It's a source-based distro, so .tar.gz, .tar.bz2, .tgz, etc.

However, like with Debian, you rarely see the actual package. Rather, the distro installs it for you:
    Code:
    emerge <app_name>
    will download the source, compile it, and install it.

It's like Debian; you rarely see the .deb packages. Rather, you do:
    Code:
    apt-get install <app_name>
    and it gets installed for you.

Quote Originally Posted by a12ctic
    if your up for it, gentoo is probobly the best "gaming distro", and theres only one reson for that, its optimized to your computer. You will get much beter performance with it than most.
    I'm not going to necessarily disagree, but offer a different view on this. In all the computers I've built and many different distributions of Linux I've tried I've never noticed any appreciable difference in performance between a compiled (optimized) distribution and a package-driven one. That's not to say Gentoo isn't fast or very good (it is both), but I think the difference in performance is much more subtle, if it exists.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

When I used Wine, I noticed that it ran a bit smoother in Gentoo than it did in SuSE. However, I can't imagine that Cedega would have a difference at all. Distros are based on your personal preferences: very very few are built for a specific purpose, and no distro cannot be changed to fit that purpose.

Cedega, thats not free is it?
    I can imagine a perfect world, a world without hate, a world without war. Then I can imagine us attacking that world because they\'d never expect it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast