Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Cedega is the DirectX-supported fork of Wine. There is a CVS version available for free: http://winecvs.linux-gamers.net/index.php/Main_Page However, that's not nearly as good as the official version, which costs $5/month. You ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Cedega is the DirectX-supported fork of Wine. There is a CVS version available for free:

http://winecvs.linux-gamers.net/index.php/Main_Page

However, that's not nearly as good as the official version, which costs $5/month. You can use Cedega even if you're not currently subscribed, but you can't get new updates. Also, you pay for 3 months at first ($15), so you end up having at least 3 months of subscription.

So short answer: it's not free, but the CVS version is. But the official version works better.

i would say the most "gaming distro" would be SuSe if you are not worried about speed. mostly because i find it correctly configures all the hardware easily. say what you like about YaST but it is excellent for installing the nvidia drivers. it is also good at autodetecting hardware which is also a plus.

a couple of games that run natively on linux are:

neverwinter nights
    doom 3
    wolfenstein: enemy territory
    quake 3 (beware, id games have problems with onboard sound cards)
    planeshift (free MMORPG, still in early stages)
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Linux Newbie

Native???

I keep hearing that a windows game will run native in linux... Do you mean it will install into linux without wine?? Or you just need wine, not cedega?
    Also, I am getting ready to switch from XP to SuSE on my gaming computer. But before I can do that I need to know just how well cedega runs the games. (not as well) ( as well ) ( better than ) XP? I have been to their site but would like some real world experience info.. thanks in advance..
    Alienware M17
    Dual ATI 3870 512Mb ram each
    intel 5300 wireless
    Ubuntu 8.04

Re: Native???

Quote Originally Posted by tomeriker
    I keep hearing that a windows game will run native in linux... Do you mean it will install into linux without wine?? Or you just need wine, not cedega?
    When we say a game runs natively what we mean is that game will run on Linux with its own Linux-made client, no emulation (WINE/Cedega) is necessary for these games. Usually all you need is the MS Windows CDs and an internet connection so you can download the Linux client. Some games (like UT2003/2004) actually include the Linux installer on the retail CDs.

Also, I am getting ready to switch from XP to SuSE on my gaming computer. But before I can do that I need to know just how well cedega runs the games. (not as well) ( as well ) ( better than ) XP? I have been to their site but would like some real world experience info.. thanks in advance..
    It depends on your hardware and what games you're trying to play. I've had identical computer setups and Cedega would run fine on one but not on the other, or it would run one game perfectly and not even install the other. It's far from reliable, so if you must have your games, keep a MS Windows installation around for that purpose.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie

cedega info

Thanks techieMoe for the info.. I play warcraft3 F-T, diablo2 exp., warhammer 40,000, sacred.... basically RPG's not too 3d intensive..

I have : AMD 64 3500+(939), Asus A8N-SLI with 2-6600GT and 3-80gig HD. I only play games on this one so I might load SuSE on one drive and try it out with cedega. (it's only 15 bucks to try) There goes my Raid!

My main computer is a dual boot also. P4 2.4 - blah blah. I find I never use XP any more. I don't play games with it so theres no need. Although I do sometimes miss the challenge of finding and removing all those virus'. (NOT) I have really been working on learning and I DO appreciate all your help in these forums.. I just installed my first progam from a .tar.gz lastnight.. (Mplayer) and I don't even have a dvd drive.
    Alienware M17
    Dual ATI 3870 512Mb ram each
    intel 5300 wireless
    Ubuntu 8.04

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3