Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Quote Originally Posted by darksun
    I am very new to linux and dont know where to look what programs are isntalled on the server.
    You probably have 'iptables' installed on your Linux server. If you have an older version of Linux, it may be 'ipchains'. Both are pretty complicated to learn and understand. If you have iptables, you can list all "rules" in the firewall with 'iptables -L' . Just after my previous post, I downloaded Shorewall and cannot recommend that for someone who doesn't yet understand iptables and ports, etc. But Firestarter is easy to use for simple requirements and I suppose can be configured as well as any as you come to understand more. If you post the result of 'iptables -L' we might be able to help to see where the problem is.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Ok i made a pic with iptables -L.It look like 1.0.0.2 and 1.0.0.39 are allowed to connect the rest are blocked (there are kinda 10 ip that can login rest is drop as u will see in the pic).I just need to modify iptables and i dont know how.I just have 2 add ip 1.0.0.23 so i can connect to.

PS.Can someone plz explain how i do ipfowarding?I cant be connectable to torrents because i dont have a public IP.Any1 knwo how i do this?THanks

For reasons unknow 2 me i cant find the atach button...so i can post the pic! But the thing it clear i just have 2 add 1.0.0.23 to iptables.how do i do that

Thanks again FOR ALL THT GREAT HELP!!

Linux Guru
    But the thing it clear i just have 2 add 1.0.0.23 to iptables.how do i do that
    By some great fortune, I have just now figured out how that can be done even though neither of us knows very much!

If you do 'iptables-save > iptables-save.Before' you will create a file with all of the current iptables rules. Open that file ('iptables-save.Before') and find the lines that have the rules for 1.0.0.2 and 1.0.0.39 and simply edit the file by either adding a line or changing one and then "save-as" that file, perhaps as 'iptables-save.After'. To put the revised rules in place, do: 'iptables-restore < iptables-save.After'. Note the reversed '<'.

Good luck!
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    ANy1 plz know how to add a new chain to iptables so i can add my ip adress ?

Linux Guru
    I guess if you don't want to say whether or how my preceding post failed, you may as well start from the beginning with a new thread.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Sry did not notices the second page.Sry again.I had bookmarked the frist one.Ok i will try but is there not a file for the rulez that i can edit directly without creating a new one and then overwriting the one i should be modifing directly?

Linux Guru
    ...but is there not a file for the rulez that i can edit directly without creating a new one and then overwriting the...
    Maybe, it depends on your set up. In any case, if you do the above and prove that it works, you can then create a simple script that will flush and then restore iptables each time you boot by calling your 'iptables-save.After' file. Or you can learn more about your system and figure out how it loads whatever iptables configuration it presently uses and then you can rewrite that. But it sounds like you don't have the patience for that.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

I want to learn how it works.But is there not a configuration file for iptables where it keeps all the seeting so i can pico it and modifi.I iptables --help and it looks like -N adds a new chain (chain=rule i think).I tryed and its saiz invalid argument.I think there is a comand like -L but -A or -N and then the options -argument for the ip and - argument for the ports.

Linux Guru
    I'll admit that I'm not very bright: I only have 5 years of college and a mechanical engineering degree, so you can understand that after reading as far as I could through at least half-a-dozen tutorials on iptables as well as working into some of O'Reilly's offerings, I still don't know much. But maybe if you were to read that same material, you might be able to block someone from ssh-ing into your system without blocking your e-mail. As for me, I'm basically going to start with a reasonable set-up created by Firestarter (see one of my earlier posts) and I will probably memorialize that configuration using exactly the method I described a couple of posts back with a script using 'iptables -F; iptables-restore < filename'

Start by reading the manual pages for iptables (do 'man iptables'). It may be easy enough to "add" a rule and even put it in the right place in the list of rules, but I'm not yet clear on how to make sure that will still be the case after re-booting.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'