Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hy Me and my friends have a network and a server wich gives us net.The problem is that only the ip 1.0.0.2 can login using putty on it.I have the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Server problem!!

Hy

Me and my friends have a network and a server wich gives us net.The problem is that only the ip 1.0.0.2 can login using putty on it.I have the root accoung but my ip is 1.0.0.23 and i dont want every time i want to login to server to change the ip to 1.0.0.2.If i try to login with putty with my ip (1.0.0.23) i just get time out.

What must i do so i can login from 1.0.0.23 to the server?I realy need help.

Thank you!

Just Joined!
    check your hosts.allow and hosts.deny files, there must be something in there blocking you out except for that one ip

Luma

Just Joined!
    Sry for asking but i am a newb , where are those files located??

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by darksun
    Sry for asking but i am a newb , where are those files located??
    In the /etc/ directory:
    • /etc/hosts.allow
      /etc/hosts.deny

Code:
    find / -name hosts.*
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    Ok found the files and typed "pico host.allow and the file is emty.Sry for asking but what do i do 2 modif them?

Just Joined!
    There are 3 files:

Host.allow -> pico shows it empty
    host.deny -> pico shows it emty
    host.conf wich 2 lines of text but no ip 1.0.0.2 ( i think i should see the ip that is allow on the file i need 2 modif)!

Any ideas?

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by luma
    check your hosts.allow and hosts.deny files, there must be something in there blocking you out except for that one ip
    Quote Originally Posted by $ man hosts.allow
    ACCESS CONTROL FILES
    The access control software consults two files. The search stops at the
    first match:

Access will be granted when a (daemon,client) pair matches an
    entry in the /etc/hosts.allow file.

Otherwise, access will be denied when a (daemon,client) pair
    matches an entry in the /etc/hosts.deny file.

Otherwise, access will be granted.

A non-existing access control file is treated as if it were an empty
    file. Thus, access control can be turned off by providing no access
    control files.
    Bottomline: if both /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny is empty, then these files will not block anything. A host is blocked if it's in hosts.deny, unless it's in hosts.allow. Gotta say, I don't think that's the problem. Also, while it may be unrelated, I don't think you should be using an adress like 1.0.0.x. Small networks (as I'm sure yours is) normally have addresses with the first 2 "quads" as 192.168 so that you can then use addresses with the other 2 quads from 0 to 255. So if I were in your place, I would change 1.0.0.2 to 192.168.0.2 and similarly, change 1.0.0.23 to 192.168.0.23. Depending on your network arrangement, there may be other wrinkles.

So why are you using Putty? I could be wrong, but my sense is that Putty is good for Windows computers, but ssh is better for Linux computers. Also, I think that if I uderstood how your "network" is arranged, maybe I could help more: How are the machines connected? What operating systems do they all run? and (less importantly) what traffic or services are on your network? If you are running Linux, to set the IP address of the system requires editing a file: which file depends on which distro you use.

Information is power, but only if the polarity is correct.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Just Joined!
    Then if both host.allow and deny are emty what is blocking me?Some kinda program installed on the server?
    The only one that uses linux is the server we the rest use Windows XP.I use WIndows XP and thats why i use putty.DOnt know why we use 1.0.0.x because i did not make the network.We are like 40 pps and share a internet connection.We go a long way like 5 blocks,and we use many switches.(total switches in network are like 30).
    There are programs that limit our internet for every ip and a program that shows our traffic.THats why i think there is a problem that blocks every ip except 1.0.0.2.What should i tell u more?

BTW thanks for all the great help!

Linux Guru
    So if I understand:
    -Your XP box is at 1.0.0.23 and is networked to a Linux gateway server.
    -In order to log on to the server, you need to change your IP to 1.0.0.2

I think the problem must be in your firewall. I'm sorry, but I am just learning about firewalls and ports, so I cannot offer much help. I think that you may have a firewall set up on your XP machine as well as the Linux machine and either could block communication. If you don't have a tool for configuring your Linux firewall, I can suggest Firestarter and others have recommended Shorewall. You will need to make sure that 1.0.0.2 is not blocked on port 22 on either machine (I think that's the correct port). I suppose you need to maintain your firewall on the XP machine to guard against the others on your network.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Just Joined!
    My firewall (sygate) its 100% not blocking.Just think that if i change my ip to 1.0.0.2 from 1.0.0.23 i can login to server without changeing the firewall settings.Maybe its the server firewall.I dont know if it has one.I am very new to linux and dont know where to look what programs are isntalled on the server.I realy think its a firewall because the host.allow and .deny are emty so only a firewall would block me...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast