Find the answer to your Linux question:
Trying to install FC4 but being told by disk druid that the partition i am trying to use hasn't been set-up as a root partition and it can't do it. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

root partition

Trying to install FC4 but being told by disk druid that the partition i am trying to use hasn't been set-up as a root partition and it can't do it.

I mean what's the point of the tool if it doesn't do it?????

Can someone give me some advice on achieving what it wants - can it be done in fdisk?

Linux Engineer
    What option did you select in the installation? Did you tell it to erase everything, or erase just Linux partitions, or to use only free space? What is your current partition layout like? Are you trying to dual-boot or do you have other data on your hard drive that can't be erased?

Just Joined!
    The HDD (HDD 2) is blank: i selected automatic partition in disk druid. It wanted to erase all linux partitions and i said yes. The disk drive currently has two partitions on it a primary vfat partition and an extended Vfat partition.

The master drive is win 98 and yes i am therefore trying to setup a dual boot with a third partition on HDD2 for joint data storage.

Quote Originally Posted by sether
    What option did you select in the installation? Did you tell it to erase everything, or erase just Linux partitions, or to use only free space? What is your current partition layout like? Are you trying to dual-boot or do you have other data on your hard drive that can't be erased?

Wen you are in Disk Druid, highlight the paretition you want to select. Then click on "Edit".
    On one of the drop-down menus you will beable to make it /. Now you will be able to do what you need.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    That works thanks but now i need to manually create a 1mb swap partition and it doesn't seem to want to do that now.

How can i reduce the size of one of the two partitions by a 1mb and create the new partition.

Cheers
    Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    Wen you are in Disk Druid, highlight the paretition you want to select. Then click on "Edit".
    On one of the drop-down menus you will beable to make it /. Now you will be able to do what you need.