Find the answer to your Linux question:
just intsalled suse 9.3 dual boot with windows xp. lol im still used to the windows scene. i dont know how to run all the other programs that came with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Very basic question, I Cant Run Programs

just intsalled suse 9.3 dual boot with windows xp. lol im still used to the windows scene.

i dont know how to run all the other programs that came with suse. like Gaim or Gimp and all that. only programs that i can find are on the desktop, such as Firefox and Openoffice.

when i click the "start type" button on desktop and go to applications, none show up.

sorry if this sounds stupid. i bet its really simple i just dont knwo where to find it.

Look at the lower left hand corner of the screen, see a little lizard head? That's just like the start button in Windows, click on it and the menu pops up.
    Dell Precision T7400 Workstation
    Dual 3.33Ghz Xeon "Harpertown" Core
    16GB PC5300 DDR2 ECC CL5
    BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC 2GB
    X-Fi Platinum
    HP w2408 24" Monitor
    Dual Boot:openSUSE 11.2/Win 7 Ultimate

Just Joined!
    yeah but when i click that. and go to applications none show up.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    When you click on the Kmenu or start menu, you should be able to see all your applications in the different menus, such as Internet, Multimedia, Office, etc. They should be there...

Did you perform a default install or did you manually select the packages? I can't imagine if you did a default install that the items wouldn't show up in the menu. I've always have manually selected the packages/software.
    Dell Precision T7400 Workstation
    Dual 3.33Ghz Xeon "Harpertown" Core
    16GB PC5300 DDR2 ECC CL5
    BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC 2GB
    X-Fi Platinum
    HP w2408 24" Monitor
    Dual Boot:openSUSE 11.2/Win 7 Ultimate

Just Joined!
    when i click the k menu, under all applications it says "no entries" greyed out

no i did a default install. i think im gonna boot into windows and deleat the partition then reinstal it. see what happens. a long time ago i used to have mandrake (when it was mandrake) and the apps were there. so i thought maybe it was just a thing with suse

when i did install however 2 packages were errored. somethign with cursors and i forgot the other one. it was on disk 5. disk 5 didnt work as a whole.