Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying out a couple different distos on my comp, to see which one I like the best. I've recently installed Mandriva, the installation went smooth. The problem is that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question about getting starting X windows

I'm trying out a couple different distos on my comp, to see which one I like the best. I've recently installed Mandriva, the installation went smooth. The problem is that after I boot up, I come to a non GUI, which prompts me for a username and password. After I enter my username and password, I get a command line. I hardly know anything about linux, but I do know to type x start, to start up a GUI. Well that doesn't work, and I don't know of any other way to get into x windows. Any help would be greatly appretiated, thanx in advance!

Linux User
    When you log in, what is the output of startx?

Just Joined!
    I figured it out, I typed start x instead of startx. It doesn't matter anyway, after I typed startx, I was greeted with a ton of fatal errors, so I doubt I'll be using this distro. Thanx for the help though!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    maybe if you tried reinstalling it would be fixed. mandriva nativly boots to a gui.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Just Joined!
    Cool, thanx, I'll try that.

usually the bunch of errors can be solved quite easily if you post them. There is a lot of output in error messages with only certain parts being extremely important for fixing your error. If you post your error and your xorg.conf file then it might be a simple fix like the wrong driver for your video card or wrong syncs for your monitor. This is just my experience with X. It is good to learn how to manipulate config files if you are going to use linux.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL