Find the answer to your Linux question:
so it started out simple, intall tight vnc and get my windows box to remote control my fedora box. (the laptop its running on has a broken screen) so i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

tightvnc, firewalls, system config and help

so it started out simple, intall tight vnc and get my windows box to remote control my fedora box. (the laptop its running on has a broken screen)

so i type vncserver on the terminal and it says its runnning. my windows box won't connect. so i think maybe the firewall.

so i add 5900:tcp to the firewall...and now i can no longer open the security center. it just won't open. i'm runngin it as root. and i cant find a command line to just turn the firewall off.

i found something about IP tables...but yeah...cluesless there.

any help or links to posts would be nice. i searched but i found nothing. nothign helpful anyway.

thanks in advance

I'm not sure which distro you've got, but vnc does not work like it does on Windows. You get a VNC window seperate to the main login X-server.

For the VNC server I use, (package vnc-server for FC2), the terminals have to be defined.

In Fedora, the place to do that is in

/etc/sysconfig/vncservers

Mine contains the following

Code:
    VNCSERVERS="0&#58;<myusername>"
    VNCSERVERARGS&#91;0&#93;="-geometry 1280x800"
    If you configure it like this and restart vncserver, you should be able to connect. Dont forget to run vncpasswd to set up your session password.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    i'm not going to be able to play with that until tonight, but I'm running the most recent version of Fedora. and my vncserver is

"tightvnc-server-1.3dev7-1.i386.rpm"

OK, let us know what happens. Remember, you can always use yum to remove tight-vnc-server and install vnc-server. Good luck.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/