Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by pixellany What I like about Ubuntu is the clean, unambiguous business model: SW will always be free---Support (from Canonical) is always there if you want to pay ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Quote Originally Posted by pixellany
    What I like about Ubuntu is the clean, unambiguous business model: SW will always be free---Support (from Canonical) is always there if you want to pay for it.
    That's not so much a business model as an ideal... :P
    \"I am, after all,\" said Pooh, \"a bear of very little brain.\"
    MY PC: Athlon XP64 3000+ on a Asus K8V-X mobo w/1GB of non-descript RAM. AGP - GeForce 2 MX400. PCI - Creative Live! 5.1 soundcard. 140 GB and 120 GB SATA WD drives.

Re: Should i switch?

Quote Originally Posted by LoafOfBread34
    I am thinking of going full Linux (Getting rid of linux...) I currently have Mandriva linux burned to a dvd, but am thinking about Ubuntu. Should I switch? I have a 64 bit system, but I dont need a 64 bit operating system. (Unless there is going to be issues because its a different cpu type?)
    You can run a 32-bit distribution and all 32-bit software on a 64-bit CPU (provided it's an AMD64 or Intel EM64T). At this point in time, I would actually recommend you NOT use a 64-bit distro on your system becaues some software (Macromedia's Flash plug-in) doesn't have 64-bit version yet. No distribution that I know of is actually taking advantage of the new features in the 64-bit X86 chips yet either, so the software won't run any faster or better if it's 64-bit.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Banned
    Why is it that I know many people who have tried to install 32-bit installations of linux and none of them worked? I'm sorry...
    I only assumed what I said was true from expierience. What distros can run on a 64-bit processor and not be screwed up either during installation or on the first boot? Yes, the installations were all done correctly to my knowledge and all the media passed the md5sum's.

Quote Originally Posted by DougMills
    Why is it that I know many people who have tried to install 32-bit installations of linux and none of them worked? I'm sorry...
    Where have you heard that? Did these people have PowerPC or Itanium processors?

I only assumed what I said was true from expierience. What distros can run on a 64-bit processor and not be screwed up either during installation or on the first boot? Yes, the installations were all done correctly to my knowledge and all the media passed the md5sum's.
    All distributions I have tried on my AMD64 have installed and worked, both 32-bit and 64-bit. I have yet to find one that will not install. My current install is a 32-bit version of CentOS (based on Redhat Enterprise Linux).
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I currently have Mandriva linux burned to a dvd, but am thinking about Ubuntu. Should I switch?
    This is an opinion thing that is going to generate a thread of opinions. Want mine? Switch to SuSE.

http://opensuse.org/

Banned
    I tried SuSE 9.2 and 9.3 and Mandrake 10.0 on my friend's computer and on mine. All three either wouldn't boot the cd, failed to install needed packages, couldn't format a partition, or would install and then would try to boot and the boot manager would fail. Something along those lines. I tried to solve the problems attempted to install numerous times on all three distributions (well, two if you see SuSE 9.2 and 9.3 as the same) on both computers, but it just wouldn't install. The cds I used passed media checks and download hash checks. I also used the cds on other computers (32-bit ones) and they installed fine. Then, I saw 64-bit versions of 9.3, downloaded it, and it installed fined with the same configurations I tried to use on the 32-bit version. Both were AMD 64's. Well, if it worked for you, maybe something is wrong with my BIOS or something. You learn something new everyday.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2