Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am thinking of going full Linux (Getting rid of linux...) I currently have Mandriva linux burned to a dvd, but am thinking about Ubuntu. Should I switch? I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Should i switch?

I am thinking of going full Linux (Getting rid of linux...) I currently have Mandriva linux burned to a dvd, but am thinking about Ubuntu. Should I switch? I have a 64 bit system, but I dont need a 64 bit operating system. (Unless there is going to be issues because its a different cpu type?)

I like ubuntu because its FREE, unlike mandriva who is charging for new releases to their products, which I think isnt in the open-source style.

Anyways, whats your opinion?

Banned
    If you're a newb, as it seems by the location of your post, you probably want to go to Mandriva, Simply Mepis, or SuSE. I know SuSE has 64-Bit, but I don't know about the other two. Ubuntu is also a nice choice, as it seems to just work most of the time. No, you need a 64-Bit kernel to run a 64-Bit processor. Although Windows can have a 64- run on a virtual 32-Bit scheme, Linux does not do this.

There. That's my opinion.

Re: Should i switch?

Quote Originally Posted by LoafOfBread34
    I like ubuntu because its FREE, unlike mandriva who is charging for new releases to their products, which I think isnt in the open-source style.
    Nothing in open source that says you can't charge for a distro. Just remember you get what you pay for, free equals no support.
    Dell Precision T7400 Workstation
    Dual 3.33Ghz Xeon "Harpertown" Core
    16GB PC5300 DDR2 ECC CL5
    BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC 2GB
    X-Fi Platinum
    HP w2408 24" Monitor
    Dual Boot:openSUSE 11.2/Win 7 Ultimate

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by LondoJowo
    Nothing in open source that says you can't charge for a distro. Just remember you get what you pay for, free equals no support.
    I know but the large majority is free. I am kind of a newbie, but I think I could do it. Ubuntu offers a 64 bit edition as well.

Have any of you used Ubuntu? What is it like?

I wasn't saying you couldn't, just replying to your statement concerning open source. Install Ubuntu and if you have problem you already know where to ask questions.
    Dell Precision T7400 Workstation
    Dual 3.33Ghz Xeon "Harpertown" Core
    16GB PC5300 DDR2 ECC CL5
    BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC 2GB
    X-Fi Platinum
    HP w2408 24" Monitor
    Dual Boot:openSUSE 11.2/Win 7 Ultimate

Have any of you used Ubuntu? What is it like?
    I use Ubuntu as my primary OS. I wouldn't recommend it if you want all your configuring to be done in GUI. However, with the Ubuntu Guide ( http://www.ubuntuguide.org ), you can just copy and paste commands into the terminal--pretty much a no-brainer. The Ubuntu Forums ( http://www.ubuntuforums.org ) have some of the most helpful people around, and it's a large enough community that you'll actually get a response.

I like Ubuntu. It's stable. It's not bloated. It's free. And it has new releases every six months.

Keep in mind, though, that Ubuntu is free in every way. That means it doesn't come with any nonfree software or proprietary multimedia codecs (that's where the Ubuntu Guide really comes in handy).

Linux Engineer

^ Same with Fedora.

Quote Originally Posted by OSI's fron't page
    Open Source Initiative exists to make this case to the commercial world.
    Also see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

Isn't Mandriva's subscription optional? I used Mandriva for a little bit, and I don't remember them charging me money for it.

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    Isn't Mandriva's subscription optional? I used Mandriva for a little bit, and I don't remember them charging me money for it.
    Yes suscribtion is optional, you can download latest version for free if you wish to do so and not suscribe.

Quote Originally Posted by DougMills
    No, you need a 64-Bit kernel to run a 64-Bit processor. Although Windows can have a 64- run on a virtual 32-Bit scheme, Linux does not do this.
    32 bit linux will happily run on a 64 bit processor. The only current advantage of having 64 bit OS is that you can address more than 4GB of RAM.

@ original poster: try a variety of different OS's before finding one which suits you best, personally I like SuSE and Mandriva, just my 2 cents.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Ubuntu is excellent. So is Fedora core.

Support is not really an issue, since there are so many good forums out there--including this one.

What I like about Ubuntu is the clean, unambiguous business model: SW will always be free---Support (from Canonical) is always there if you want to pay for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast