Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hiiiii ! One question, please. I am running Fedora 4. I am always faithful with mc for editing text. Before, when I used Redhat 9, I could copy and paste ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Copy and Paste in different mc windows?

Hiiiii !

One question, please.

I am running Fedora 4. I am always faithful with mc for editing text. Before, when I used Redhat 9, I could copy and paste to and from different mc windows. Now I can't. When I select some text (by dragging the mouse, not use F3 key which I am aware that for use inside mc only), and then press right mouse, the Copy option in the context menu always disable, Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V also don't work (before, I could copy/paste this way in my redhat box).

I believe there are some setting for this function to work, not because of the Fedora itself. I tried my console terminal -> Edit -> Key board short cut. The current setting is enable keyboard short cut, and Shift-Ctrl-C/Shift-Ctrl-V is for copy/paste. But these keyboard shortcut don't work, too. I tried disable keyboard shortcut, still don't work. And what's else? Please tell me. Also, before I could press Ctrl-Home to jump to the first line of my openning text (in mc). But now this key combination doesn't work.

Thankx so much.

oz
    forum.guy
    If you have a middle-button on your mouse, try highlighting the text, move the cursor to the window where you want the text to go, then middle-click.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozar
    If you have a middle-button on your mouse, try highlighting the text, move the cursor to the window where you want the text to go, then middle-click.
    I don't have a middle-button on my mouse. And could you explain what's the mystery of that mouse button? The Fedora console terminal is designed to work with mouse middle-button that way?

I can't buy a new mouse Some one know other ways?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    I don't use Fedora, so I'm not up to speed on it, but you can usually emulate the middle-click on a two button mouse by clicking on both buttons at the same time. It works here, so hopefully it will for you, too. Keep in mind that when we speak of middle-button, the mouse wheel is clickable and acts as a button.

Hope this helps...

I don't actually know what MC is, but I assume it's a sort of console?

Basically, a little-known thingie that I believe is supposed to be present in many X windows (or maybe just terminals) is that highlighting text copies it, and middle-clicking pastes it.

For example, Eterm doesn't have a right-click menu. And Ctrl-C cancels a process. So to copy-paste, I use highlight and middle-click.

As has been said, middle-clicking can be emulated by clicking both buttons at the same time.

oz
    forum.guy
    I'm assuming by MC, he's referring to midnight commander?

Just Joined!
    Thanks for many hints.

Yes, Midnight Commander it is.

I try CLICK-select and MIDLE-MOUSE-paste (oh, it's my scroll button) inside my console terminal. Yes, it works well, and also works accross different console terminals. But this way doesn't work inside MC. MC support F3 key for select and F5 key for copy, but it can be done inside one document only. Now I want to copy/paste in different mc windows.

Just Joined!
    If you want to copy to clipboard from midnight commander, you must hold shift and then highlight the text with the mouse; then shift and paste with the middle button (if on linux not on putty) terminal. Hope this helps. I found the answer here
    www(.)trembath.co(.)za(/)mctutorial(.)html. Cannot post the url normally, since I don't have 15 posts yet

Hi, Brahman. Welcome to LinuxForums!
    Since this thread is over 7 tears old, I'm locking it down.
    Don't let that stop you from jumping in on other threads, though!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.