Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i am wondering if there is a useful tool (note useful... not just existing) for hard disk cleanup... it seems that i have a ludicrous amount of unneeded files... (from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

cleanup

i am wondering if there is a useful tool (note useful... not just existing) for hard disk cleanup... it seems that i have a ludicrous amount of unneeded files... (from everything i have been doing and not paying much attention too...)

thanks
    Old Skewl - AMD Athlon XP 1600+ / 512mb / 160gb / nVidia GeForce 4 4800ti 128mb / openSUSE 10.0 / 2.6.13-15 / (puter geek . linux noob)

Linux Newbie
    oh please answer my question!!
    Old Skewl - AMD Athlon XP 1600+ / 512mb / 160gb / nVidia GeForce 4 4800ti 128mb / openSUSE 10.0 / 2.6.13-15 / (puter geek . linux noob)

Linux Newbie
    For my personal opinion, there is not so effecient tool as you mentioned. Find every unnecessary file in your disk and clean them, huh.
    Just a Newbie....Looking 4 Info....

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    ahh linux ... why use a program when you can do it yourself god help me if i delete the wrong thing!!!

Linux Enthusiast
    well, what do you want to delete? temp files, browser cache,....?

you can probably write a program for your specific machine that deletes everything. afaik, you'll just place all your commands to delete these files (as if it was in a terminal) into a text document and make it executable. that would make it a script that you can run and it should, if written correctly, do what you want

the reason i said "your specific machine" is because, if a program like this was written, it would have to be tailored to a certain distro...since not all distros have the files in the same locations

Linux Newbie
    i could do that ... but i would prolly screw it up pretty bad!!! lol

anyone know what this is?

Code:
    fyrephlie@linux:/955904818a1166150c1948018a28> dir
    total 4
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 788 2005-10-24 19:38 $shtdwn$.req
    fyrephlie@linux:/955904818a1166150c1948018a28>
    it appeared in / about a week ago (24 Oct according to this) and i am not sure what it is ...

the flie is binary

Linux Enthusiast
    1. Make a copy of it;
    2. Delete it;
    3. If nothing happens, you're good.

Easy!

Linux Enthusiast
    well, i found out how to delete everything within a directory: "rm -r /path/to/files/*"

anything within the folder "files" in this case will be deleted. i have a question now....is it safe to delete everything within the tmp folder?

this sounds like an interesting idea and i'm writing a program up right now....i plan on only deleting things out of the tmp folder and the browser cache. would it be safe to do?

EDIT: i deleted everything within my tmp folder using that command and restarted without any ill effects. only big change is that i saved 2.6GB by doing so

Linux Newbie
    Its name is tmp
    Just a Newbie....Looking 4 Info....

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by heartsmagic
    Its name is tmp
    oh well...that makes it simple

for anyone who's interested, this is the program that i wrote up (to delete tmp files):
    Code:
    rm -r /tmp/*
    rm -r /usr/tmp/*
    this will work in Gentoo, but i'm not sure where the tmp folders are in other distros (might still be in the same area??)

to make this an executable script:
    su into root
    Code:
    su
    (enter root password)
    use your favorite text editor...i use nano (i also placed this in /sbin/ so that i can just run it without typing the path...and i named it "cleanup"):
    Code:
    nano -w /sbin/cleanup
    copy the code above into the text editor and save:
    Code:
    rm -r /tmp/*
    rm -r /usr/tmp/*
    to save in nano....CTRL+X, then Y, and ENTER

to make it executable:
    Code:
    chmod a=r+w+x /sbin/cleanup

now you should be able to delete your temporary files by simply typing "cleanup" in a command line as root. this also assumes that you used the correct directories (as written, i know it'll work with Gentoo). you can place the script anywhere you want (such as your /home/user directory) instead if you feel more comfortable with that. if it was in this directory you would type "/home/user/cleanup" to run it.

hope this helps

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast