Find the answer to your Linux question:
So i couldn't get linux on my laptop. I went and bought an external CD drive, to boot from, only to find it doesnt boot. Bearing in mind i dont ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ok, brainstorm here guys!

So i couldn't get linux on my laptop. I went and bought an external CD drive, to boot from, only to find it doesnt boot. Bearing in mind i dont have a floppy drive, how can i get linux? I am on the verge of moving to windows! its been more than a week of trying, and not even getting a basic command line up! Save my brain! The only way i can get stuff onto the HD is by connecting it to my desktop, but this sets up all the hardware, and more importantly grub incorrectly.

Thanks in advance for all your help,
    Jon

Have you changed the BIOS to boot from USB (if it can boot usb) so that you can boot the CD drive...or have you tried this?
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Ye given this a go, but it really doesnt want this to happen. There is no option to boot from USB, or anything removable except a floppy drive, which i dont have, and really dont want to shell out sum more $$ for one.
    Jon

what's the model of hte laptop?
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

Just Joined!
    Its an IBM thinkpad 240, no X or anything. not sure what model, but heres the specs:
    300Mhz Celeron
    128Mb RAM
    No CD or Floppy
    Makes a good coaster

Linux Enthusiast
    Seeing that it is a fairly out-dated computer, I'm guessing you have Win98 on it. That means it's formated with FAT32, and you can use one of the many distributions that can boot this way. Off the top of my head, I know Slackware has a separate distro on the 2nd CD called ZipSlack, that does exactly that: loads from a FAT32 file system. From there, I think you can just chroot into the installation CD and run the install. Not really sure if it's that smooth, but it makes sense in my head.

Just Joined!
    My god that makes sense!!! At the mo ive got no OS on there. i will put win95 on i think, and use linload or grub for NT to load the install. willkeep you guys posted. Thanks for the inspiration though.

Can you quickly explain what chroot is if im gonna need it?
    Cheers

Jon

Linux Enthusiast
    You're definately going to need chroot, the good thing is that it comes with almost any distribution. It means "change root". What you do is you mount a paritition that has a GNU/Linux system on it, then chroot to that mount point, which makes you root of that system. I'm pretty sure I'm explaining it wrong, have a look at the chroot man page for a better description.

BTW, how are you going to get Windows in that laptop if you can't boot from floppy or CD?

Linux Newbie
    For chroot:
    Code:
    chroot /mnt/mount_point /bin/bash
    As you guess you have to mount needed disk or cdrom to mount point by
    Code:
    mount /dev/hdXx /mnt/mount_point -o rw
    Just a Newbie....Looking 4 Info....

Just Joined!
    Windows doesnt seem to care if i install it on another computer, but my XP CD has gone up **** creek, so thats that idea out of the window. Ive decided to invest in an external floppy drive, whic i know i can boot from.

So heres the next question (they just keep comin)

Can i just install a bootloader to the floppy disk, or do i need a mini distro? I might split the HD and use half debian, half PHLAK. Any ideas?

Thanks for all the help so far guys, ure keepin me sane(ish)

Jon