Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
The paid editions are good, it's just that if you are smart enough to go to a tech forum instead of a phone support line then you're probably smart enough ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

The paid editions are good, it's just that if you are smart enough to go to a tech forum instead of a phone support line then you're probably smart enough to use SUSE. Honestly... the entire Xandros line is really very cheesy. It's just the look of it. And OCE is a disgrace to computer users worldwide.

Linux Engineer
    Why not use a distro that's actually free instead of going through all this crap?

The guy didn't ask your opinion on what distro to use, or why X sucks and Y is leet, so stick to answering the OP's question.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I obtained Xandros by buying the book Linux for non-geeks by Rickford Grant. It is very cool and easy to work with plus all the packages that come from Debian... Never liked Xandros Networks and used synaptic instead when I used to play with this distro...

-D-

Registered User # 402675

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by a thing
    Why not use a distro that's actually free instead of going through all this crap?
    Will you stop it with this? Free is not always good. Stop recommending Fedora to everybody. It works for some but not for others. And I don't care if it's commercial or free, if it works and it works well then I will pay for it. SUSE is a great commercial distro. Some will say the best. It works great. CentOS is a great free distro. I'm not going to trash a good commercial distro just because it's commercial. And either way, we had issues with Xandros because of the distro itself, not because it was commercial. Are you advocating some sort of communist software community here?

Just Joined!
    Didnít know Xandros was such a sore point in the community!

Firstly, Iíve managed to get hold of the open circulation via bit torrent, which took about half a day. Iíve yet to try it out, but that, my friends, is exactly the point. I want to try it out, to see what I think of it, which is why I donít want to get a paid edition just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810
    If you really want Xandros then get one of the paid editions. The OCE edition has so much cut out it's pathetic. And on that note I don't recommend Xandros in the first place, since one of the beautites of learning Linux is learning how computers work, which Xandros doesn't show you. It's worse than Windows at that.
    Granted, its quite true that other distroís make you learn Linux (and learn how computers work), and it would be great to have time to do that, but my lifestyle dictates that this is not possible Ė productivity is key in my use of computers, and due to all the usual problems, Windows is no longer viable for me, which is why Iím (slowly) moving to Linux.
    There are probably hundreds of different distroís but itís almost impossible to try every one, and decide exactly which one is suitable for each persons use, so from recommendation, I am trying this one.

Iím hoping Xandros will help to bridge that gap between Windows and Linux for me, as I just want to be able to get on with what I do, under a stable and secure environment, without having to bother about learning code, compiling, kernels, etc, and as techieMoe said

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    ÖGiven, it's a pair of training wheels that don't actually teach you how to ride the bike, but some folks may not want to jump on a two-wheeler the first day...
    Quote Originally Posted by daacosta
    I obtained Xandros by buying the book Linux for non-geeks by Rickford Grant. It is very cool and easy to work with plus all the packages that come from Debian... Never liked Xandros Networks and used synaptic instead when I used to play with this distro...

Sounds good, i'll look in to that one!

My recommendation of getting Grant's book was posted for two reasons:

1. Downloading a huge OS and making it work sucks [ Sorry, if someone disagrees with me on this one but spending half a day dowloading a file is not worth my time... ]
    2. The book already has the tools explained on how to get productive at once (i.e., you will be able to manage the Internet applications you need, have an office suite, and all the crap you will ever need to go on with life.)

I, in particular don't like Xandros that much because of its Xandros networks program to update the OS but that's just me... Other than that it is a very proficient well put together distro...

// Edit Comment: The book I meant to refer to was Linux made easy by R. Grant

Sorry about the mistake. R. Grant's book Linux for non-geeks is based upon Fedora Core which is another popular distro //
    -D-

Registered User # 402675

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2