Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am trying to download the open circulation version of Xandros, but having quite a bit of trouble getting hold of it. To download the via HTTP, you need to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Downloading Xandros

I am trying to download the open circulation version of Xandros, but having quite a bit of trouble getting hold of it.

To download the via HTTP, you need to pay a $10 bandwidth fee, however Iím trying to get hold of it via bit torrent, with no charge (as stated on their website)

Under Windows, using bit-torrent software, I can establish a connection of about 1 or 2 kbit/sec, which is not much good. I seem to get quicker download rates under Linux, so under Mandrake 10.1, I attempted to download and install Azureus, which I extracted to a folder in /home. Upon establishing the torrent download link in Firefox, and choosing to run it with Azureus, nothing happens.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any other mirrorís to get hold of the ISO other than at the Xandros site, so I can get it without paying a bandwidth fee, or any alternative (and quick & easy) ways of getting it via bit torrent?

This is a very good question, and I hope someone can answer it for the both of us. I'm not able to use bittorrent at work (the only place I have the appropriate bandwidth) so I haven't been able to get a hold of Xandros OCE either. I too am not very keen at paying $10 for it either.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Iím glad Iím not the only one having this difficulty! And techieMoe, it was in fact your review (rant?), that persuaded me to download it and give it a try! I have tried PCLinuxOS, and was very impressed, however they say Xandros is supposed to be Ďthe Windows XP alternativeí

i'm downloading it now using azureus in windows at about 62 kB/s Not too shabby for a monday morning.
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

Just Joined!
    Must be the routers in my area, I'll try again later.

By the way, being an open source program, is there anything stopping me from downloading it via bit torrent, and uploading it to a server for other people to download via HTTP?

Also if anyone does know anywhere that mirror's the download for HTTP, it would be great to know...

Linux Enthusiast
    An OCE version with a bandwith fee, Xandros is based on Debian, but has lost it's heritage of free is good

Next They will be charging a website fee for looking through their site.

Imagine it, a Windows sytle clippy pops up:

" It appears you are interested in our product, now, pay $10 to have a look at it,"

/me is not best pleased

Just Joined!
    Well I'm using Azureus in Windows, and its downloading between 5kB/s - 30kB/s, which isn't too bad.

I think i'll just leave it running. Still, doesn't help techieMoe though, sorry man, hopefully someone can help figure out a way of getting hold of it for you. I suppose I could send it on a CD in the post, but it's a long way, and I doubt you'll want to give a complete stranger your address! Lol.

Oh and @bacon - yes quite right it sucks about the bandwidth fee, but I can understand where they are coming from, but i still don't want to pay! Very few other distro's make a charge!

Linux Enthusiast
    Exactly my point, stupid Xandros They have a business edition

Anyways, there are sites that do it for http://lincd.com/product_info.php?pr...2dd17ba19a183f

Linux Enthusiast
    If you really want Xandros then get one of the paid editions. The OCE edition has so much cut out it's pathetic. And on that note I don't recommend Xandros in the first place, since one of the beautites of learning Linux is learning how computers work, which Xandros doesn't show you. It's worse than Windows at that.

Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810
    If you really want Xandros then get one of the paid editions. The OCE edition has so much cut out it's pathetic. And on that note I don't recommend Xandros in the first place, since one of the beautites of learning Linux is learning how computers work, which Xandros doesn't show you. It's worse than Windows at that.
    I don't think anyone can accuse me of sugar-coating my dislike for a distro, but I must disagree on Xandros. The paid version of the distro is very stable and offers a nice middle-ground for folks still attached to the MS Windows way of doing things. Given, it's a pair of training wheels that don't actually teach you how to ride the bike, but some folks may not want to jump on a two-wheeler the first day. I want to try the OCE version so that I can find out for myself what has been cut out and whether it cheapens the distro.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast