Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This question has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find it in the forums. What is the difference between LILO and GRUB? GRUB is something with multiboot, right?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GRUB and LILO

This question has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find it in the forums.

What is the difference between LILO and GRUB? GRUB is something with multiboot, right?

Linux Enthusiast
    Both GrUB and LiLo can dual boot, but I think LiLo is easier, and that with GrUB you can configure it on the fly.

Re: GRUB and LILO

Quote Originally Posted by Veli
    What is the difference between LILO and GRUB? GRUB is something with multiboot, right?
    Personal preference. Both GRUB and LILO support booting of multiple operating systems, including Linux, FreeBSD, MS Windows, etc. The differences are mostly in the way their configuration files are made up (one usually makes more sense to some people than the other). It's just up to whichever does what you want the way you want it.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Grub IMHO is nicer because you don't have to run it after changing your menu.lst.

On the other hand, Lilo will let you know of errors in your lilo.conf if you messed up when you run /sbin/lilo so you don't have to screw up your boot. Plus, Lilo IMHO is easier to configure.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

This question has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find it in the forums.

Most distribution rollers say that GRUB is superior to Lilo, and that Lilo is deprecated...I have had more success with Lilo, but GRUB is very powerful ( unfortunately only 3 people in the world know how to utilize all of GRUB's power, and 2 of them were GRUB's authors ) if you understand it.

Linux Newbie
    As a personal preference: I also like GRUB more (I've had more success in dealing with it than with LILO).

You should try for yourself and see which one you like better.
    You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.

Linux Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald

Most distribution rollers say that GRUB is superior to Lilo, and that Lilo is deprecated...I have had more success with Lilo, but GRUB is very powerful ( unfortunately only 3 people in the world know how to utilize all of GRUB's power, and 2 of them were GRUB's authors ) if you understand it.
    Who is the third person?

For a newbie, I would say definitely LiLo, a lot easier.

Linux Engineer
    When you change LILO's config, you've to run /sbin/lilo, but nothing like that for GRUB. Plus, you don't have to use what's in your config to boot GRUB.

Linux Newbie
    The first bootloader I ever got my hands dirty in was GRUB. I've had great success with it. It seemed easier to configure than Lilo, as IMO the language it uses in the grub.conf file is more understandable. I haven't even had to try twice to set up dual-boot. The first time it worked perfectly. It really is a matter of personal opinion, though.
    --Dachnaz [Fuzzy Llama]

As has been said, it really is personal opinion. I notice that those who first experience LILO tend to prefer it, while those who began with GRUB use that now.

I have used both (and have had to set up both - yay Gentoo!), and I vastly prefer LILO simply for the config file syntax. That said, I didn't do too much research into GRUB (and I was already acquainted with LILO), so I'm slightly biased.

If you can, try out both. If not, just learn to utilize the one that your favorite distro uses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast