Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello All, First I would like to start with a sad sad story. I have admire Linux distros and what they did for me. I got my feet wet with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

From the Ground up Linux?

Hello All,
    First I would like to start with a sad sad story. I have admire Linux distros and what they did for me. I got my feet wet with a Linux envrioment. But really all I did was install some Linux Distro and use software. I did not learn a thing about Linux or about Computers or how this whole thing works. Sure I ran into some problems and learned how to change some configriation files to get some things working, but that is nothing. That does not tell me how what and what see that line in the config file and does that with that and all that type of thing. So I have become determined to learn what Linux really is. How it works on a bare bones level. Does anyone have any suggestion about how to do this.
    My first idea was not to install any distro. This will make me learn really how to build a system from scratch and what it takes to do such. Anyone have any suggestions on how to do that? I know there is LFS out there anything that is real simple though. I want something that gets me really bare bones. Like getting the kernel just installed and working my way up.

And how do I learn about Linux and how it operate? I want to know all this kind of things, but I really do not know how. It seems like all these guides and things I see online tell you how to get it to work not how it works. I want to learn from the Ground up how things work.

Any suggestions please,
    Thanks,
    方永仁

Linux From Scratch:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Gentoo Linux:

http://www.gentoo.org/

Either of these will take a lot of work but you'll learn an awful lot about Linux in the process.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Enthusiast
    Well, there's no easy way to do this. LFS is what I would recommend for your situation. You might want to read up some O'Reilly Press books to learn about Linux as well. Or you could install something like Slackware or Gentoo.

Just Joined!
    Ya I think I will get into LFS I read a good portion of it before and it seems like what I want to do. What im really interested in is like the kernel itself and how it works with the computer and that type of thing. Where can I learn about that kind of stuff?

Linux Enthusiast
    Hmmmm... You can't really get into kernel architecture without getting into programming. Again, you could install something like Gentoo or Slackware, as they almost force you to learn this stuff over time.

Linux Newbie
    I recommend Tanenbaum's book: Modern Operating Systems. The book is HUGE but it is very good IMHO. Very well written, with good examples. It really gives a good insight on operating systems and the way they work.

EDIT & Explanation: you asked about getting insight on operating systems, I offered a bit of an alternative to your request.
    You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.

Just Joined!
    Well I want to get into programming and well plan to make my life around it. Have not really learned much though and well I want to seieze the day and make something of it. So thanks for the help, you have pointed me in the right direction and I kind of know the questions to ask now so I can be on my way and learn woohoo.
    Thanks you guys,
    方永仁

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkyro
    I recommend Tanenbaum's book: Modern Operating Systems. The book is HUGE but it is very good IMHO. Very well written, with good examples. It really gives a good insight on operating systems and the way they work.

EDIT & Explanation: you asked about getting insight on operating systems, I offered a bit of an alternative to your request.
    Thank you so much for the book recomindation I will check it out for sure. We where posting at same time so my post are out of oder hehe ^_^
    Thanks a lot