Find the answer to your Linux question:
The title says it all really. I'd like to switch off the capture function in alsamixer in order to stop input from my mic being output by the speaker. I've ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Switching off capture using alsamixer

The title says it all really. I'd like to switch off the capture function in alsamixer in order to stop input from my mic being output by the speaker. I've been playing around in alsamixer and I just can't get it to switch off. It doesn't seem to matter how I set the capture flag -- the mic sound is still being captured.

Can anyone advise me as how I should set up the mixer to prevent this??
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Arrow over to < Mic > and press 'M'

Thanks for the reply lakerdonald, but wouldn't that just mute the microphone?? The main reason I want to get this working is so that I can use Skype. In other words I'd like to have a working microphone, but without hearing my own voice coming through the speakers. I thought the way to do this was to turn off the capture function in alsamixer, but it doesn't seem possible to turn it off, just to cycle it between "capturing" different inputs (CD, mic, video, etc.) -- but no matter which input I choose I can still hear my own voice coming from the speakers.

This image shows how I've set up the capture section of alsamixer, without success
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

you can use a program called aumix...once you have it run

aumix -d /dev/mixer -I and then set record button to something other than mic.

I think you can also use alsamixer by using the the tab button to switch what you are looking at in alsamixer and then set capture to something other than mic.

aumix homepage link to download source tarball http://www.jpj.net/~trevor/aumix.html
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by spencerf
    I think you can also use alsamixer by using the the tab button to switch what you are looking at in alsamixer and then set capture to something other than mic.
    It doesn't seem to matter what I have capture set to, sound coming in the mic is still output from the speakers

I'm a little confused though. Do you want to just capture sound from your mic without the captured sound being output through your speakers? Does you mic currently capture sound the way you have it set up just with feedback through speakers? Does this capture result in the appropriate quality you are looking for? It all of these questions are answered in the affirmative and the only problem you have is feedback why not just mute your pcm and master levels while recording (or even simpler disconnect your speakers) This answer seems overly simplified to me but sometimes the simplest answers work (LOL).
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

scm
    Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerf
    It doesn't seem to matter what I have capture set to, sound coming in the mic is still output from the speakers
    I think you're attempting the impossible. You want the sound to go to Skype (through the soundcard) so how's the soundcard to know which frequencies you want to selectively silence? All the inputs are mixed together, so the card can't identify individual channels to split them out.

If the problem is feedback, position the mic with its back to the speakers for maximum cancellation, or use headphones when you're on Skype (I had a similar problem so I've installed a mic preamp with its own fader (my soundcard had insufficient sensitivity anyway so I needed the extra boost) that I can cut when I'm listening.

Quote Originally Posted by scm
    I think you're attempting the impossible.
    Perhaps

More than likely I just haven't explained myself properly! When I use my mic in windows I am able to speak into it without the sound of my voice coming out of the speakers, but when I use the same mic on the same computer in linux any sounds input to the mic are output from the speakers. When using Skype it is extremely annoying to hear my own voice coming back from the speakers, and I would like it to stop. It's disappointing to have to boot into windows any time I wanna Skype someone.

I'm sure this is not a problem with linux or skype, and is purely related to the way I have set things up in alsamixer, which is why I started this thread. I find it hard to believe that it is impossible to prevent my sound card behaving like this.

PS: I am 100% sure this is not a problem of having the mic too close to the speakers, as this effect still exists when I use headphones.

*BUMP*

Anyone any ideas?? I really hate having to restart and boot into windows just to use skype

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    Arrow over to < Mic > and press 'M'
    This ought to be in the playback area. It does not mute the mic, only the feedback you hear in your speakers from the mic. Programs will still be able to capture the mic.
    --Dachnaz [Fuzzy Llama]