Find the answer to your Linux question:
I dual boot Windows XP and Mandriva 10.1, using (I think) lilo (with the blue Mandriva logo background). I am going to resize a partition on the hard disk which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Partitioning for 2nd Linux Distro

I dual boot Windows XP and Mandriva 10.1, using (I think) lilo (with the blue Mandriva logo background).

I am going to resize a partition on the hard disk which it is installed on, and create a new partition for Xandros which I am going to install as well.

My current set up is as follows:

HD1 (60gb) –

Part1 – Windows 2000 (not in use) (NTFS)
    Part 2 – Windows XP Home (NTFS)
    Part 3 – Windows XP Pro (NTFS)

HD2 (120gb) –

Part 1 – Data (Documents etc) (NTFS)

HD 3 (80gb) –
    Part 1 – Data (NTFS)
    Part 2 - Data (candidate for Xandros) (about 22 gb)
    Part 3 – Ext3 (Mandriva) (about 5gb)
    Part 4 – Ext3 (Mandriva) (about 10gb)
    Part 5 – Linux Swap (Mandriva) (about 1 gb)

How should I arrange my HD3/Part2 to accommodate Xandros?

I assume in the case of Mandriva one partition is for root, the other for user, and the swap for, well, swap. Can the swap partition be shared amongst Linux Distros?

I not too trustworthy of Xandros’ partition manager in the install program, which is why im thinking about creating the partitions manually, (in Mandriva).

Do I need to split my candidate partition (HD3/Part 2), into a similar arrangement as Mandriva (ie. one for root and one for user (and maybe swap)), or shall I just bite the bullet and let Xandros do it for me?

Also what is likely to happen to my boot manager, will Xandros reconfigure it, and take over the Mandriva lilo one?

Linux Enthusiast
    Man... you should just let the installer do it automatically for you... that's what Xandros is designed for. As for the boot loader, there's probably no particular reason you need to keep your mandriva boot loader, but if you need to for whatever reason I think there is an option to disable the Xandros bootloader during the install. Just look around for it.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for that. I'm probably just being a bit over cautious /paranoid, about making absolutley sure I choose the correct partitions to write to, as I don't want to inadvertantly overwrite a partition that i want to keep!

I'll give it a go with the built in partitioner....

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru

Re: Partitioning for 2nd Linux Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ExpertBeginner
    Do I need to split my candidate partition (HD3/Part 2), into a similar arrangement as Mandriva (ie. one for root and one for user (and maybe swap)), or shall I just bite the bullet and let Xandros do it for me?

Also what is likely to happen to my boot manager, will Xandros reconfigure it, and take over the Mandriva lilo one?
    I think your skepticism of the auto partitioner is healthy. Except for a mono-booting install I think that you should set your partitions manually, either within the install program or "externally", before starting the install. While having multiple partitions for a single OS (root, /usr, /home, whatever) can offer some advantages, it isn't necessary. Having multiple partitions can result in more wasted space, for example, if you have excess room in root, but you need more in /usr. Also, note that you do not need a new swap partition for the new OS: it should automatically use the present swap which is safe and recommended.

I think that when installing a second OS to a working system, the best deal is to install the bootloader to the root (or /boot) partition of the new OS. Then you can add an entry in your original bootloader to "chainload" the second OS same as you currently chainload your Windows.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by drakebasher

I think your skepticism of the auto partitioner is healthy. Except for a mono-booting install I think that you should set your partitions manually, either within the install program or "externally", before starting the install. While having multiple partitions for a single OS (root, /usr, /home, whatever) can offer some advantages, it isn't necessary. Having multiple partitions can result in more wasted space, for example, if you have excess room in root, but you need more in /usr. Also, note that you do not need a new swap partition for the new OS: it should automatically use the present swap which is safe and recommended.

I think that when installing a second OS to a working system, the best deal is to install the bootloader to the root (or /boot) partition of the new OS. Then you can add an entry in your original bootloader to "chainload" the second OS same as you currently chainload your Windows.

Excellent, I'd feel alot safer doing it myself, as im running 3 o/s's already things could get messy!
    My current bootloader i believe resides on my HD1/Part1, where Mandriva Lilo is the primary bootloader, and windows being secondary. I don't mind Xandros replacing Mandriva/Lilo bootloader, as long as it gives me the option to load either Linux distro/windows os i have installed (as im sure it will).

I won't bother splitting the partition as I'm only testing it out and don't need dedicated space for root and usr/home yet. Please don't let me down Xandros.....

Linux Newbie
    when one repartitions a big partition which is in the middle of the order
    does it mess up with the already installed linux? if say three partitions are there for one distroe and one installs another distroe and these partitions are pushed back and renumbered does it mess up things?
    what steps ar to be taken?

tv
    Be happy. Life is too short to be unhappy!

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by drtvasudevan
    ...pushed back and renumbered does it mess up things?
    what steps ar to be taken?
    The only steps required by most users would be to correct their bootloader configuration file and their /etc/fstab file.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Linux Newbie
    The only steps required by most users would be to correct their bootloader configuration file and their /etc/fstab file.
    oh, thanks!
    so linux will not look in the wrong partition for the home fs and so on?

tv
    Be happy. Life is too short to be unhappy!

Linux Guru
    The bootloader configuration file specifies the location of the kernel and initrd (if used) as well as the root partition. fstab (file system table) specifies the mount point for all file systems, which would include all partitions mounted under root.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Just Joined!

Excellent, I'd feel alot safer doing it myself, as im running 3 o/s's already things could get messy!
    My current bootloader i believe resides on my HD1/Part1, where Mandriva Lilo is the primary bootloader, and windows being secondary. I don't mind Xandros replacing Mandriva/Lilo bootloader, as long as it gives me the option to load either Linux distro/windows os i have installed (as im sure it will).

I won't bother splitting the partition as I'm only testing it out and don't need dedicated space for root and usr/home yet. Please don't let me down Xandros.....
    Thanks for the info people! Im happy to report that after sorting out a partition for Xandros and doing a 'custom' install, it installed sucessfully, and I chose to use it's bootloader, which found my Mandrake and Windows installations and set those up properly as well.

So far so good.