Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
First off... I'm a "newbie" in the entire computer field. I don't know anything about technology other than how to press the power button and click on icons and buttons. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New User Here...

First off... I'm a "newbie" in the entire computer field. I don't know anything about technology other than how to press the power button and click on icons and buttons. But I do know that I am having a hard time with the Windows XP program, or whatever you call it. It freezes on me about five times a week and I'm tired of it. And I don't think it's a virus because it's always done that, even after my friend tried to fix it for me. And I've bought a new copy too, and it still does this. So I've heard about this Linux program, and it's supposed to be very stable. But is it easy to use? All I want is something that I can use to write stuff and get some work done on the internet. They are changing the computers all the time at work and I don't get what they do there so I don't want to be givin a hard time at home. Also, I'm wondering if I should get DSL or not, because I spent a lot of time submitting reports to work on the internet, which is unoptional, I spend a few hours every couple days and I can't afford the phone bills, last month it was 200 bucks, the month before that 230. I can't fix it no matter which access number I use. So I considered getting DSL, since most deals are around 30 dollars a month flat rate. So I asked my friend about it but she said that DSL is dangerous because it's really very easy for a hacker to get into, and I work for the military, and submit stuff to the government, so I can't afford for somebody to see that. But on the other hand I can't afford the phone bills any longer, they are getting ridiculous.
    Thank you so very much for your patience!

Just Joined!

Solution

I recommend to you use ubuntu, thats like the most easy Linux distribution, especially for New Users.

Screenshots : http://www.ubuntulinux.org/screenshots/document_view
    download at: http://www.ubuntulinux.org/download/
    Official web page: http://ubuntulinux.org/

Just Joined!
    along with ubuntu
    fedora core and SuSE are user friendly distro's

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    DSL can work out cheap as you've realised. If you go down that route I would recommend connecting via a router/modem. The better ones have their own onboard firewall (which you would need to enable yourself). The distro you end up using should also have a software firewall, so you can be working behind two firewalls!

Check out the distrowatch site as well.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

linux is very good for protection from hackers if you are smart about it. Don't do stuff as root and you should be fine. As far as sending stuff to the gov't as long as you are sending from your government e-mail it should be a secure server in which hackers would not be able to get into. Don't send confidential stuff from yahoo etc. Linux is hard to use (relatively speaking) but it can be easy if all you want is to use an office program, email, and surf the net. This stuff all comes prepackaged in the major distributions like Suse, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc.

All that said if you are willing to spend some time learning then you shouldn't have any trouble and best of all learning something like linux could help you in your career because knowledge is power and knowing something a lot of people don't know how to use is always beneficial.

Last but not least I personally think linux is just plain fun and that in and of itself is reason enough to try it.

Good luck and as always feel free to post your questions but also search this sight and google for some common answers.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerf
    linux is very good for protection from hackers if you are smart about it.
    sed -e 's/hackers/crackers'

Anyway, Ubuntu sounds best for you.

Banned

Re: Solution

Quote Originally Posted by zOrK
    I recommend to you use ubuntu, thats like the most easy Linux distribution, especially for New Users.

Screenshots : http://www.ubuntulinux.org/screenshots/document_view
    download at: http://www.ubuntulinux.org/download/
    Official web page: http://ubuntulinux.org/
    If you go for Ubuntu (IMO indeed a very good choice for new people), your new bible should be:
    http://ubuntuguide.org/
    This guide is actually so good that I highly recommend not using a newer Ubuntu version before their's a new "Ubuntu Guide" for it.
    Also, don't let all command line stuff scare you. With this guide you don't even need to understand what you're doing. Just "copy and paste" all commands and do exactly what it tells you to do. At first this might look harder than Windows XP, but once you're used to it, you'll soon find out it's actually twice as easy (and in case you would get stuck, just post your problem in this forum).

Have fun,
    Jens.

Linux Enthusiast

Re: New User Here...

Quote Originally Posted by belkin
    First off... I'm a "newbie" in the entire computer field. I don't know anything about technology other than how to press the power button and click on icons and buttons. But I do know that I am having a hard time with the Windows XP program, or whatever you call it. It freezes on me about five times a week and I'm tired of it. And I don't think it's a virus because it's always done that, even after my friend tried to fix it for me. And I've bought a new copy too, and it still does this. So I've heard about this Linux program, and it's supposed to be very stable. But is it easy to use? All I want is something that I can use to write stuff and get some work done on the internet. They are changing the computers all the time at work and I don't get what they do there so I don't want to be givin a hard time at home.
    Almost every modern Linux distribtion will get you this. For your situation, I'd recommend Fedora, but because Fedora's core (yes, it's a pun) design tends to be a little bleeding edge, ie a little unstable, I'd recommend CentOS, a distribution almost exactly the same as Fedora on the outside but on the inside has a wonderfully crafted core that leaves you with a reliable and stable operating system. And it's free, too.
    Also, I'm wondering if I should get DSL or not, because I spent a lot of time submitting reports to work on the internet, which is unoptional, I spend a few hours every couple days and I can't afford the phone bills, last month it was 200 bucks, the month before that 230. I can't fix it no matter which access number I use. So I considered getting DSL, since most deals are around 30 dollars a month flat rate. So I asked my friend about it but she said that DSL is dangerous because it's really very easy for a hacker to get into, and I work for the military, and submit stuff to the government, so I can't afford for somebody to see that. But on the other hand I can't afford the phone bills any longer, they are getting ridiculous.
    Thank you so very much for your patience!
    Don't worry about it. First off, a hacker will have problems getting into a Linux system in the first place, as it's pure design is made to avoid things of this nature (it was engineered by the nerds of famous American universities for projects that demanded speed, stability, and security (what I like to call the three S's of good computing)). I even have faith in Windows, where there is a firewall installed by default anyway. A firewall is something that closes the "open doors" of your internet connection. I'm going to tell you this: you never, ever, ever, ever, ever use a broadband connection without some sort of firewall protecting it. Never. Ever. There are people out there who scan the web looking for your connection's address who will take that address, hack into your computer, and actually use your computer's connection to hack into other computers: this is the most important reason to use a firewall, because even if you don't know it, somebody could be operating an international hacking ring right from your computer. The FBI can bust you on this. So not only do we use firewalls to protect our own data, we also use them to avoid becoming hacking tools. If that doesn't scare you into bolting up your high speed connection I don't know what will. We need to get that straight. But once you have that straight then your broadband connection becomes a very fun and useful tool that you can use to download large files and view web sites very quickly. Just install a firewall of some sort and we can completely ignore most of these problems. The firewall will most certainly protect you against hackers trying to access your government info as well (and either way there was probably never a threat in the first place: the government wants to keeps that stuff just as safe as you do. They definatly have some sort of security system installed that does it's job.). I do recommend, however, using a third party firewall. Preinstalled ones don't usually cut it all the way. And as for the price: going high speed will make you a very happy camper: 40 dollars a month flat rate is quite a drop from what you are paying now. Then, you could get Vonage for actual voice phone service, which is 30 dollars a month flat rate, for an added total of exactly 70 dollars a month on a flat rate, which is a 70% drop from what you were paying before, and for the savings, you'll save an actual 160 dollars a month, meaning a saved 1920 dollars a year. For much better service too. Don't let yourself get ripped off by dialup.

I also would recommend CentOS, although Ubuntu and others are also good.

There is an interesting website for people new to Linux that seems to be pretty complete and helpful:

http://www.linuxnewbieguide.org/

Just Joined!
    Ubuntu would probably be best if he's not looking to spend any more money though, yes.

Otherwise maybe Linspire or Xandros... (Just how he's wording it all...)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast