Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've tried multipal distributions, and the same thing happens over and over. I put the CD in and it comes up with the Linux Shell, so I hit enter. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux doesn't want to load live or actually anyway....

I've tried multipal distributions, and the same thing happens over and over. I put the CD in and it comes up with the Linux Shell, so I hit enter. I see the files loaded into memory, and then....... REBOOT

It get's really annoying!!!!

(btw, I'm looking for some sort of live boot, but I've tried other distros that are non-live too)

Current Specs:

Windows XP Pro
    HP Pavilion A614N (box except for these
    -Nvidia Geforce FX5200 (PCI)
    - PCI audio card (no name brand)

We're gonna need LOTS more information.
    You say you put "the CD" in. What CD??
    You say this happens with multiple distributions. Can you be more precise??

You really need to make things as precise as possible. Lots of information. Lots and lots and lots. How are we supposed to help without hearing the full story??

Also, what is your question?? Do you want a recommendation for a new distro, or do you want help solving the problem with the distros you've tried??
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    Alright, after a lot of work, I got something for you guys to work with! I have one installation CD that actually works! It's called MunJoy Linux and it uses KKNOPIX V2.78 for the loader...... if anyone could gime a link for that, that would be great.... I'm going to try the oldest version available for Kknopix, but I'm not sure if it will work......thnx in advance guys

__xXDuncanXx__

Just Joined!
    I suppose u r having a similar problem i had.
    This is a problem with a few kinds of bios.. they dont boot from live cd's directly.
    Download "Smart Boot Manager.iso" (search google for it), burn it to a cd, while booting insert this , it will boot from this cd and then u can put ur live cd in ..

hope it works.
    goodluck

Just Joined!
    Trying now! Thanx
    EDIT: I can't seem to find it in an ISO CD.... It seems to be an executable.

If you could gime a link to the ISO, TYVM!

EDIT2: NVM, I got it working, BUT it still froze!
    God damn this is pissing me off!!! (excuse my french)

It looks like it will work, but then it freezes! Except for the god damn MunJoy Linux (Knoppix V2.87 that YOU CAN'T GET!!!!!)

I'm sad now...

Just Joined!
    SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST, BUT I FOUND OUT WHAT I NEED!!!!

I need the nVidia Graphics Drivers! That's why MinJoy worked and none of the others did! Now.... does anyone know how to put the Nvidia drivers into an existing distribution?

Quote Originally Posted by xXDuncanXx
    I need the nVidia Graphics Drivers! That's why MinJoy worked and none of the others did! Now.... does anyone know how to put the Nvidia drivers into an existing distribution?
    I'm a little confused here. You're claiming that no Linux you've tried (what Linux distros have you tried by the way?) will boot unless they load the Nvidia drivers by default? I've never run into this problem before.

When you say "it comes up with the Linux shell" do you mean when Linux is first trying to boot or after you've already run the installer?

If you have a version of Linux already installed you can download and install the Nvidia drivers off their website, here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d..._1.0-7676.html
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I mean, I tried and tried and tried many distributions:

(Ubutu, Knoppix, SuSe, Puppy, Damn Small, and I think there may be one more..... I lost track).

Anyway, then I try MunJoy Linux, and it loads, (horray), but I accidentally installed Lilo and messed up my partition table.

Well, it turns out that MunJoy is basically Knoppix (I can tell by the text it says as it loads), so I goto Knoppix site, download Knoppix latest (and oldest...) version and try them...... no cigar.

Finally, I'm looking through the MunJoy Website and I see this:
    Code:
    N E W S

Munjoy Linux 0.5.5 released
    This release includes the &#40;------------>&#41;proprietary Nvidia drivers&#40;<------------&#41;, UI theme and icon improvements, a new apt repository, and various other fixes. See the changelog and roadmap for full details or go directly to the download page. &#40;June 20, 2004&#41;
    So, I am assuming that this is the cause of my freezing with other distributions. (I have a PCI nVidia Geforce FX5200). So.... as of right now, all I am doing is downloading PCLinux and I'm going to try that (it's based on knoppix and has nVidia drivers). If it works....

PS: By Linux shell, I am refering to the kernal loader where you hit enter

Quote Originally Posted by xXDuncanXx
    (Ubutu, Knoppix, SuSe, Puppy, Damn Small, and I think there may be one more..... I lost track).
    So you're saying all of these distributions freeze and reboot during the initial bootup process?

So, I am assuming that this is the cause of my freezing with other distributions. (I have a PCI nVidia Geforce FX5200). So.... as of right now, all I am doing is downloading PCLinux and I'm going to try that (it's based on knoppix and has nVidia drivers). If it works....
    I have owned 5 Nvidia cards and never had the trouble you're describing. Unless yours is just a special case, I would be more apt to think the problem lies with some other piece of hardware that MunJoy configures correctly when all the others don't. I looked up your model online and all the parts are relatively command and standard, so exactly what is causing this isn't obvious to me.

I'm not saying your Nvidia card isn't your problem... it could be, but it would be the first time I've personally encountered this type of problem with one.

PS: By Linux shell, I am refering to the kernal loader where you hit enter
    You mean the boot loader screen that pops up the first time you boot from a Linux distro then? You mentioned that MunJoy actually installs, you just did something wonky with LILO? Good luck with PCLinuxOS. If Knoppix seems to work, any Knoppix-derived distro probably will as well.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    You mean the boot loader screen that pops up the first time you boot from a Linux distro then?
    Yep.... it's definiteally NOT a bios problem.... I think I need to use the Kernal from Munjoy (I don't know if you CAN, but if I can, I think that will solve it)

BTW, thanks for the support! I am really appriciating it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast