Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
You might want to try typing Code: poweroff in the console......
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

You might want to try typing
    Code:
    poweroff
    in the console...
    You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.

Just Joined!
    Calm down, I can help you out here. I just loaded Mandriva 2006 and for some damn reason there is no option to reboot/shutdown on the start menu, the logout screen only gives you an option to logout and cancel, and when you do logout, the login screen has absolutely no options. Here's what you do:

open a console
    type su
    at the prompt enter your root password then enter
    type "shutdown -h now" to shutdown or "shutdown -r now" to reboot

It's only a temporary work around. I'm trying to figure out a way to get an option on the start menu to shutdown. I'll let you know if I figure it out.

This is a very annoying problem which I also have. I prefer to shut down with a gui. I open up Konsole, log on as su and type init 0

I hope the Mandriva team fix this!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

more fun and games in KDE, eh? hehe. i know what i won't be installing.

i'm looking forward to getting mandriva 2006, but one of my decisions has already been made due to this thread.

El-Deveo, where did you get the installation disk? Did you download it, buy it or get it free with a magazine? I ask because my old Mandrake 10.1 professional DVD was damaged last year and I couldn't get a full install from it, bits of the system were missing and your situation sounds similar.
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Linux Engineer
    If you go into the mandriva configuration panel, and change the login screen (don't remember where you could find it, maybe under "start X at boot" or something) to "KDM" instead of "GDM" (which I assume is used now), you should get the shutdown and reboot options in the logout menu.

It has worked for me in any distro I've used with KDE.

Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    If you go into the mandriva configuration panel, and change the login screen (don't remember where you could find it, maybe under "start X at boot" or something) to "KDM" instead of "GDM" (which I assume is used now), you should get the shutdown and reboot options in the logout menu.

It has worked for me in any distro I've used with KDE.
    Under 2006 Official the only option I can see is for XDM. It doesn't offer any more obvious options.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    This is a very annoying problem which I also have. I prefer to shut down with a gui. I open up Konsole, log on as su and type init 0

I presume Mandriva is still using KDM as the default "sign in manager?" This is KDM that's giving the problem and not XDM? Why not just use GDM which *should* have the reboot and shutdown options? That is, if Gnome and GDM are still available in Mandriva...

EDIT:
    Under 2006 Official the only option I can see is for XDM. It doesn't offer any more obvious options.
    Sorry, didn't see this until after I posted. If it is defaulting to XDM, then it sounds like KDM and GDM are not installed. I would think you could install either with urpmi. Then, when it is present, it should default to (KDM or GDM) or you can change to it in the Mandriva control center.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan

I presume Mandriva is still using KDM as the default "sign in manager?" This is KDM that's giving the problem and not XDM? Why not just use GDM which *should* have the reboot and shutdown options? That is, if Gnome and GDM are still available in Mandriva...

EDIT:
    Sorry, didn't see this until after I posted. If it is defaulting to XDM, then it sounds like KDM and GDM are not installed. I would think you could install either with urpmi. Then, when it is present, it should default to (KDM or GDM) or you can change to it in the Mandriva control center.
    Well done Dan! That's the answer. This is what I did (and thanks Jaboua as well).

su
    password
    urpmi kdm
    insert install disk

kdm will then install as it's part of the KDE base install package set. Still as su type

reboot -n

When you log in again you'll have kdm as the default login manager. You are all 133t!! Problem solved. When you log out you'll get the options you need to shut down.

I'm a happy bunny.

Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast