Find the answer to your Linux question:
this maybe a stupid question but can someone tell me what the swap partition size limit is for kernel 2.6...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kernel 2.6 swap partition size

this maybe a stupid question but can someone tell me what the swap partition size limit is for kernel 2.6

I think 2gb is the biggest swap partition you can make, but I could be wrong on that. It is better to have several small swap partitions rather than one big one.

Quote Originally Posted by brother_mick
    It is better to have several small swap partitions rather than one big one.
    Why is that??
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Linux Enthusiast
    You shouldn't need to go that high anyway. The general rule for this is to have 2x the amount of swap space as you have in RAM. So if I have 128 mb of RAM, then I should have 256 mb of swap space. And if you actually have 2 gigabytes of RAM, then you practically shouldn't need swap space in the first place (although it's always a good idea to have some anyway )

Quote Originally Posted by brother_mick
    It is better to have several small swap partitions rather than one big one.
    I think this would only be true if you have more than one hard disk drive...you would put a swap partition on the edge of each drive (the first partition on each drive), since this will make reading/writing them fast...which is what's needef for swap. But I don't see why having more than one swap partition on a single drive would make it better?
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Enthusiast
    Neither do I. Unless you had a RAIDed drive, where you could have multiple heads read/write multiple swaps at once.

Just Joined!

Kernel 2.6 swap partition size

Thanks for everyone thoughts.
    The reason I ask this question is that the software I install & support is for Business offices for about 4 years in which time I taught my linux. The software is built by Delphi & runs on a Firebird v1.0.3CS database engine. Offices with large users (20-50) running RedHat 8.0 thru to RHEL4 ES & AS with minium 2G of RAM, 2 offices with 8G & 4-5G database. Swap sizes vary according but they constantly go into swap, which in turns slows the system down. As far as I know the swap files are one size. I did not build the systems.
    I believe it is the last update on our software is causing the problem but the programmer tell me it is not he problem.

Anyone have any ideas??

Whether anyone else accepts it or not, my personal 'rule of thumb' is:
    512 RAM and above - no swap is faster than any swap under almost all applications as memory forced through RAM is faster.
    Under 512 - a swap of 2 to 3 times RAM is necessary and more than enough.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Enthusiast
    Even if you have something like two gigabytes of RAM, you should still have a swap partition, just in case. But just something like 128 megabytes, just to save you from a memory allocation crash if you should ever run out of RAM.