Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
What are the distros with the biggest repository ? FreeBSD? Gentoo Debian ???...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Distros with the biggest repository ?

What are the distros with the biggest repository ?

FreeBSD?
    Gentoo
    Debian

???

For what it's worth, I've used all those distros and their repositories are all quite decent.

With debian, though, some popular things may be missing for political reasons (ie, like mplayer) which is not a problem you'd find with, say, gentoo.

You could no doubt google up some numbers, but there are factors like "how do you define a package" that could skew the results into meaninglessness.
    noobus in perpetuum

I would vote Debian. The last time I looked there were about 8000 packages in their repository ... and growing. In fact, I'm looking at installing it myself soon.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    I would vote Debian. The last time I looked there were about 8000 packages in their repository ... and growing. In fact, I'm looking at installing it myself soon.
    Actually I thought the number was closer to 15,000 the last time I checked.

Oh and whats the political reason that MPlayer is not included in Debian?
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    Oh and whats the political reason that MPlayer is not included in Debian?
    The short answer is: license problems with some codecs and libraries. There are some things that debian won't officially distribute, though there are unofficial repositories run by others. So you can get debs for things like the win32 codecs and libdvdcss2 from places other than debian. You can get an mplayer deb unofficially as well, though at the moment its broken.

As for how many packages are in debian, it depends on how you count. There are 3 separate branches; so do you count each package or only the unique ones? And since some packages are not in all branches, is it meaningful to count these or not? (You might use a branch with more or less packages than one or both of the others.) This is what I referred to above
    noobus in perpetuum

Thanks for clearing that up eerok. And as to how I came across that 15,000 number, I read about it somewhere (again I am not sure if it is for all three branches or whatever) and also a friend of mine was boasting of this fact when trying to convince another person to try linux.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Linux Engineer
    Debian, but it still has KDE 3.3

Quote Originally Posted by eerok
    With debian, though, some popular things may be missing for political reasons (ie, like mplayer) which is not a problem you'd find with, say, gentoo.
    The commercial Nvidia drivers, Java Virtual Machine, and MP3/DVD support are also not included.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Debian wins it.

Yop, Debian Sarge has more than 15000 packages (in main, contrib and non-free repositories). Of course there is much more than that, even in official repositories, considering you can always install stuff from Etch and Sid repositories (like a spanking new kernel).

MPlayer? The Christian Marillat's repositories have it all.
    http://debian.video.free.fr/ for the list.

There is a huge number of non-official repositories... see http://www.apt-get.org for a nice list.

The commercial Nvidia drivers, Java Virtual Machine, and MP3/DVD support are also not included.
    Of course, but it's all too easy to find...
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Linux Enthusiast
    when i sync portage (within gentoo) it shows around 131,000 files. that is everything though....as in, if i installed xfce4 that's one package. each plug-in is another package, i believe each config file needed for installing the packages is another.

i couldn't really guess its true numbers....there are too many variables/possibilties of what the packages may be

i very rarely have trouble finding something in portage, though, and if i do i just find another great alternative (i've never not-had a tool because of portage's lack of packages....that's what i'm trying to say)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast