Find the answer to your Linux question:
Over the past couple of weeks, I have tried installing both Mandriva and Fedora Core 4, and ran into problems with both. My ethernet card wouldn't work in Mandriva and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SUSE is great

Over the past couple of weeks, I have tried installing both Mandriva and Fedora Core 4, and ran into problems with both. My ethernet card wouldn't work in Mandriva and Fedora wouldn't even get the bootloader installed correctly. Finally, I decided to try SUSE and the installation was a total breeze. I didn't have any trouble whatsoever. I've been around computers for quite a while, but I am a total newbie when it comes to Linux and I highly recommend SUSE for people who are just starting out with Linux. All I have to do now is get my soundcard configured and I'll be set.

Glad you found one that works for you. That's perhaps the one task most arduous for those new to Linux.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Always nice to see a happy user. I agree, by the way. In the beginning, I was really attracted to SuSE because it felt easy to install and use.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    I have been using Linux for about 6 months now, just chose me distro, after 5 months on slack it took me to realise that it was the best for me

Suse is great for newbies. As I like to believe, with Suse you could probably plug your toaster in and Suse would do something with it . Wait, that task has been taken on by the NetBSD team already...

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Re: SUSE is great

Quote Originally Posted by i2kdave
    Over the past couple of weeks, I have tried installing both Mandriva and Fedora Core 4, and ran into problems with both. My ethernet card wouldn't work in Mandriva and Fedora wouldn't even get the bootloader installed correctly. Finally, I decided to try SUSE and the installation was a total breeze. I didn't have any trouble whatsoever. I've been around computers for quite a while, but I am a total newbie when it comes to Linux and I highly recommend SUSE for people who are just starting out with Linux. All I have to do now is get my soundcard configured and I'll be set.
    Congratulations! This is often the most difficult step for people new to linux, and I guess that a lot of people give up due to problems with specific distros -- just as you had with Mandriva and FC4. The key, as you've now discovered, is to persevere until you discover the distro that suits you.

There are horses for courses, as we say back home!
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

I've used many distros but I've never tried suse ... I looked it over the last time I wanted to fill a spare partition with something, but it appeared that I needed to get the full set of cd's for an install.

If someone can confirm for me that there's a way to do a net install (or if only the first cd is strictly necessary to get going, which I think is probably the case), I'll give it a shot next time.

I really dislike downloading a full distro when I end up upgrading everything after the install anyway ...
    noobus in perpetuum

Linux Newbie
    Since I'm a perfectionist I found choosing a distribution very difficult, however, realising a perfect solution is hardly viable (I think LFS would enable you to get as close to perfect as possible) I decided on Slackware.

Congratz on finding the distribution which is right for you.

Firstly, congragts to i2kdave for presevering until finding a distro which works perfectly for him.

Quote Originally Posted by eerok
    If someone can confirm for me that there's a way to do a net install (or if only the first cd is strictly necessary to get going, which I think is probably the case), I'll give it a shot next time.
    You can download the 50MB netinstall cd from some ftp sites, I am not sure if it is available for SUSE 10, but I know it is available for 9.3.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Ah, ok, thx. If I know there's a netinst out there, then I'll find it
    noobus in perpetuum