Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have been trynig to install openoffice, xmms, realplayer, and some libraries. The only thing I am able to install is glib. When I try to install other stuff, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

n00b questions about installing applications

I have been trynig to install openoffice, xmms, realplayer, and some libraries. The only thing I am able to install is glib.

When I try to install other stuff, I run into a lot of " ______ cannot be found" or "error while loading: ____ cannot open....:no such file or directory"
    So, I go and find the ____ when I install the _____, they have yet another ____ it cannot find. It goes on and on, and I just cannot install anything.

1. Do I have to always find all those missing library (I think they are libraries) to install just one program?
    2. Is there any way to simplify this crazyness, so I don't have to install about 5 other things before I can install this one program I want to use?
    3. Is "make install" the process that actually install the program?
    4. When I run "make install" where is my program actually installed?
    5. Is it possible to change where a program is installed? example: when I install something in windows they normally put it in C:\ProgramFiles\, but I can change it to E:\I-like-to-install-it-here\

Thank you very much.

Firstly, please tell us which distro you are using, that will enable someone to pointout an easier way to install programs in linux. Now in answer to your questions:

1. Depends on your distro, some of them automaticially get the dependancies for you based on the package you are trying to install.
    2. Again depends on your distro.
    3. Yes
    4. The executable is usually stored in /bin or /usr/local/bin or somewhere else.
    5. In linux, the thing is that the libraries and stuff go in one place, documentation go in another and the executables and other files go into other places. So, you can't necessarily change where something gets installed. To run the program, just type its name in the command line to actually launch it.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Thank you for your very clear answer.

I am running fedora core 4 right now.
    I am slowly trying to learn rpm, but I am not really getting it.

Fedora Core 4 comes with one of those programs which automaticially check for dependancies and install programs for you, it is called YUM. The way it works is like this, you setup YUM to point to some official Fedora repositories, then when you want to install a program, say Firefox, you'd simply launch a terminal and type (I don't know exact syntax):
    Code:
    yum install mozilla-firefox
    yum will then search the repository for a program called mozilla firefox, find it and download it along with any dependancies it may have.

Now, I'd suggest you start by following this tutorial.

Also, what are you not understanding via rpm installation?

I am doing the "rpm -ivh <filename.rpm>" thing mostly right now.
    I think I might be just unucky that I keep on running into applications that get errors.

Again. Thank you.

What program are you struggling with right now? You might be able to get it through yum. Have you tried (as root):
    Code:
    yum install <program name>
    Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Quote Originally Posted by bonniehandi
    I am doing the "rpm -ivh <filename.rpm>" thing mostly right now.
    I think I might be just unucky that I keep on running into applications that get errors
    Yes that is the proper way to install rpm's, it is just not installing due to the fact that certain dependancies which the program needs to run aren't on the system. But, like I said before, using YUM to install the program should fix it.

Linux Engineer
    You could also try Smart. I'm just checking it out now myself. I've heard nothing but good things

For compiling from source on a typical package made with GNU Autotools, when running the configure script, run ./configure --prefix=WHERE-TO-INSTALL to control where it will be installed.

For nearly all binaries, you don't have a choice where they're installed, because there're designed to be there.

It is wise to use smart, yum, apt-get et al when you can.

I just ran yum according to the instrustions on the website AlexK posted.
    When I put "yum update" I got an error like this:

[root@localhost ~]# yum update
    Setting up Update Process
    Setting up repositories
    core 100% |=========================| 0 B 00:00
    //var/cache/yum/core/repomd.xml:1: parser error : Document is empty

^
    //var/cache/yum/core/repomd.xml:1: parser error : Start tag expected, '<' not found

^
    Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: core
    Error importing repomd.xml from core: Error: could not parse file //var/cache/yum/core/repomd.xml

I don't totally understand what it is saying. But I ran "yum --disablerepo=freshrpms update" . It seems to be running fine so far. i am just wondering what affect it will have because I disabled that.

Thank you very much

The --disablerepo=freshrpms part means that packages in the freshrpms repository will be unavailable during that run of yum.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast