Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've been trying distros out for a while, and can never seem to find one that I really like. I like the simplicity of Fedora, with the yum function and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Distro Advice

I've been trying distros out for a while, and can never seem to find one that I really like. I like the simplicity of Fedora, with the yum function and such, but at the same time it just seems way too simple...I hardly ever have a problem, and it's polished from the start. With slackware, it's just a constant frustration (would be better if I could get my ethernet card to work properly with a static ip setting and not dhcp) with getting it off the ground at all. I tried mandrake 9.1 back in the day, and liked it except for the same problems I have with Fedora.

So my question is what, in your opinion, would be a good distro for me to try.

And, another question, how much work does it really take to get gentoo up and running and what iso's do I need to get to install with? It just seems a bit vague to me on the gentoo website.

gentoo has a reputation for being a long installation. it didn't take me too, too long... but it is a bit of an ordeal. It depends on your experience with linux, I suppose, but i'd say a gentoo installation would require a lazy weekend to get it up and running.

I learned quite alot from the gentoo install though, and it's a very excellent distro if you have a bit of patience.

as for the isos, you need to decide what kind of an installation you would want. minimal or universal. and then what stage, 1,2 or 3. (stage 3 is fastest). Check out the gentoo documentation here for more info.

if you havn't already, check out the coffee lounge "which distro" topic. most people are pointed there when they ask that question.

and if you still can't find a distro you like you can try lfs and build your own . I did and loved it....but that's me...
    Avatar from xkcd.com, a hilarious computer related webcomic.

Linux Newbie
    Try Gentoo. If you're ready for intermediate Linux, the Gentoo installation on a free weekend will be much enjoyable. You will learn a ton.
    --Dachnaz [Fuzzy Llama]

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thank you . I'm in the middle of a gentoo install right now, and if I can ever get my partitioning right (I have a second hard drive full of logical partitions, ugh), I'll actually get in the thick of it and see what's going on.

I'm not new to linux and getting around inside it, but I'm certainly not old to it .

Running Slackware, you just run:
    Code:
    netconfig
    To set static IP. I've run Gentoo, and if you have huge amounts of spare time, then go for it! Gentoo will take up most of it and you will learn a lot of things you may not have already known. If, on the other hand, you're like me and your time is precious and very limited, stay with Slackware. It's just as fast as Gentoo (kernel for kernel) and in my experience, not as prone to breakage. Slackware just works, and doesn't take hours to install or to install new packages. I've used Slackware from 10.0 to 10.2, and I'm beginning to believe it is not possible to break it.

Just my two cents.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Newbie
    I've done five Gentoo installations to this date. The first one took me basically three days to get a working system booted up properly, and I attribute that to my poor (at the time) typing skills. My sixth is at a standstill because it's remote over 1400 miles of distance and there's a wierd problem with the SATA drive. But my fifth, that is my latest successful on this very system, took me three hours IIRC. Might have been longer for the compile time. Once you know how it works, it's a cinch. But until then... you learn stuff along the way!
    --Dachnaz [Fuzzy Llama]

Linux Newbie

Re: Distro Advice

Quote Originally Posted by iXmIo
    I've been trying distros out for a while, and can never seem to find one that I really like. I like the simplicity of Fedora, with the yum function and such, but at the same time it just seems way too simple...I hardly ever have a problem, and it's polished from the start. With slackware, it's just a constant frustration (would be better if I could get my ethernet card to work properly with a static ip setting and not dhcp) with getting it off the ground at all. .
    i am a little confused.
    you like fedora and have had no problems with it and slackware is a bit too problematic!
    you want problems to tackle but not too many, is that right?
    Be happy. Life is too short to be unhappy!

Arch Linux is fantastic. I have heard some say that it is like a cross between Gentoo and Slackware. It is i686 optimized and has a great package manager in pacman.

Of course, you will need an i686 architecture to run it though.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by drtvasudevan
    you want problems to tackle but not too many, is that right?
    Kind of, but not quite. With slackware, I basically quit on it because I could never get a static ip to setup with it and still have my ethernet card work. I used netconfig multiple times, and the only way I could get any internet connectivity at all was to use a dhcp setup. I also edited the /etc/rc.d (or whatever the file is actually called) manually to set a static ip and ignore dhcp, but got the same results as I did with netconfig.

I don't know whether my ethernet card is just not supported or what, but it did the same thing in slackware 9 as it did in slackware 10.2.

Quote Originally Posted by iXmIo
    I don't know whether my ethernet card is just not supported or what, but it did the same thing in slackware 9 as it did in slackware 10.2.
    Did you set the subnet mask and the default gateway ip back to the router?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast