Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, here is what i'm trying to do: I have a folder that has many subdirectories, and some of the directories contain .html files, and some do not. I want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

CP command

Hey, here is what i'm trying to do:
    I have a folder that has many subdirectories, and some of the directories contain .html files, and some do not. I want to sort through all the folders and sub folders and sub folders....etc grab the .html files, and put them in another folder in my home. Heres the script I tried, but it didnt work:

Code:
    cp -R *.html /home/myusername/extractedhtml/
    It returned
    cp: cannot stat `*.html': No such file or directory

did you cd to the directory you are copying from before typing that in?

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Just Joined!
    I cd to /downloadedhtml/ which contains many many layers of sub folders, which is where im trying to grab the .html from.

Let me clarify that sometmes downloadedhtml will not contain any .html files. It will contain a sub folder that contains a .html file though.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by LoafOfBread34
    I cd to /downloadedhtml/ which contains many many layers of sub folders, which is where im trying to grab the .html from.

Let me clarify that sometmes downloadedhtml will not contain any .html files. It will contain a sub folder that contains a .html file though.
    in that case:
    Code:
    find .|grep .html|xargs cp --target-directory /home/myusername/extractedhtml/

scm
    Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    Quote Originally Posted by LoafOfBread34

in that case:
    Code:
    find .|grep .html|xargs cp --target-directory /home/myusername/extractedhtml/
    I'm not convinced that cp will take a source list from its stdin (mine won't).
    Also, please use find properly:
    Code:
    find . -name "*.html" -exec cp -p "{}" /home/myusername/extractedhtml \;

Linux Engineer
    The command worked here.

I tried the -name thing, but it wouldn't copy in my test folder - it may be the quotes, I didn't use quotes . The -exec is a new one.

But xargs doesn't give CP a source list, it splits the source list up and utilise CP with one line at the time.

Just Joined!
    THANK YOU. find . -name "*.html" -exec cp -p "{}" /home/myusername/extractedhtml \; works like a charm!