Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey Guys, Im trying to enable graphics acceleration in KDE (to use shadows, transparency, etc), but I just cant seem to get anything working. Rather than explain what I've done ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

KDE / KDM Freezes when RenderAccel Enabled?? arg!!

Hey Guys, Im trying to enable graphics acceleration in KDE (to use shadows, transparency, etc), but I just cant seem to get anything working. Rather than explain what I've done so far, Ill post the relevant parts of my xorg.conf file. BTW I am running Suse 10.0 (64 bit version) on an HP Pavilion zv5000, with NVidia Geforce 440:

Code:
    Section "Device"
      BoardName    "GeForce4 440 Go 64M"
      BusID        "1:0:0"
      Driver       "nvidia"
      Identifier   "Device[0]"
      Option       "RenderAccel"
      Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
      Option       "NoFlip"
      #Option       "NvAGP" "2"
      #Option       "NvAGP" "0"
      #Option       "NvAGP" "3"
      #Option       "NvAGP" "1"
      Screen       0
      VendorName   "NVidia"
    EndSection
    and

Code:
    Section "Extensions"
     Option "Composite" "Enable"
    EndSection
    However, whenever I have 'Option RenderAccel' enabled, KDM freezes right away, before I can put in a username. I can get into KDE if I set the default user to bypass logging in, but KDE will still freeze when loading certain apps (Kcontrol center for one).

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? Ive looked everywhere and cant find any similar problems. I have the latest NVidia drivers. I am experiencing a few other video problems, but I'm not sure if they are related.

Thanks for any help guys, this is really the last thing that I need to get working, and I have no idea what the problem might be.

*ANY* X Composite manager can be considered experimental, and one needs to be enabled to use transparanceys, shadows, etc... honestly in the current state, it's more hassle than its worth, I'd wait until they mature up before using such features.
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

Just Joined!
    Hey Steffan thanks for the super fast reply!

Yeah I gave up on the composite for now, but even with "RenderAccel" enabled, and "Enable Composite" Disabled, KDE will still crash, so I'm pretty sure that RenderAccel is the culprit. This is what I can't understand, and dont know how to fix

Quote Originally Posted by JLew
    Hey Steffan thanks for the super fast reply!

Yeah I gave up on the composite for now, but even with "RenderAccel" enabled, and "Enable Composite" Disabled, KDE will still crash, so I'm pretty sure that RenderAccel is the culprit. This is what I can't understand, and dont know how to fix
    Just disable it, I have the same problems with my ATI card so your not alone on these issues.
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

Just Joined!
    Ok Thanks Steffan, at least I know its not just me then.