Find the answer to your Linux question:
um.. yea sorry if this issnt the right place for this but does anyone know if it is possible to make a batch file that will add something to the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

no too sure where this one should go....

um.. yea sorry if this issnt the right place for this but does anyone know if it is possible to make a batch file that will add something to the startup thing in WIN XP? like for example. i can make a batch file that looks like
    Code:
    @echo off
    start notepad c:/bla/bla/bla/
    and when you click on that batch file it will open the specified file in note pad.
    now is there anyways to either make that reoccuring upon start up or anything? ive googled this and i cant find anything. and once again im sorry if this is not the place for this thread. -ZAc-
    I can imagine a perfect world, a world without hate, a world without war. Then I can imagine us attacking that world because they\'d never expect it.

Linux Enthusiast
    Well, number one, this shouldn't be in the coffee lounge. Put it in a forum like the Linux Newbie message board on this site. Number two, this is a Linux forum, meaning that most users here are not well versed in Windows. Go to http://forums.techguy.org/ for an extremely active and helpful Windows forum.

Re: no too sure where this one should go....

Quote Originally Posted by zacam87
    um.. yea sorry if this issnt the right place for this but does anyone know if it is possible to make a batch file that will add something to the startup thing in WIN XP? like for example. i can make a batch file that looks like
    Code:
    @echo off
    and when you click on that batch file it will open the specified file in note pad.
    now is there anyways to either make that reoccuring upon start up or anything? ive googled this and i cant find anything. and once again im sorry if this is not the place for this thread. -ZAc-
    for one thing plane files get associations to particular programs so all you would have to do is place a shortcut to the file on your desktop to open a file in notepad. also there is a folder in the program files list that allows you run things at start up. the folder called simply enough startup will do this. place what ever you want to run at startup in the startup folder and it will run at startup.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Linux Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by carlosponti
    Code:
    @echo off
    .....there is a folder in the program files list that allows you run things at start up. the folder called simply enough startup will do this. place what ever you want to run at startup in the startup folder and it will run at startup.
    exactly what i was going to say...place the batch file in the folder: Start > Programs > Startup

Code:
    @echo off
    Um I note you are using linux, So I am guessing that you are trying to achieve this in linux. I have actually not tried this, but if you run a DE like KDE, goto your KDE folder ~/.KDE and in there you will find autostart. Pop any files you want opened/executed in there, and theoretically it should be sweet.

Yeh, add it to C:/autoexec.bat

Remember to include in your batch file:

format /f c:

to get rid of windows from your machine and install your fave Linux distro.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    Remember to include in your batch file:

format /f c:

to get rid of windows from your machine and install your fave Linux distro.
    hmm.. you know, I thought someone with 600 posts would be a bit more resposible and not post this. oh, har har "M$ SUX0RZ", if someone has a question then answer it or point him in the right direction to get it answered (tech support guy is a most excellent site) don't tell him to format the OS he's running.

Registered Linux user #393103

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810
    Well, number one, this shouldn't be in the coffee lounge. Put it in a forum like the Linux Newbie message board on this site. Number two, this is a Linux forum, meaning that most users here are not well versed in Windows. Go to http://forums.techguy.org/ for an extremely active and helpful Windows forum.
    And don't forget to make clear title which resume ur problem....