Results 1 to 7 of 7
Thread: Newbie questions about startup
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Newbie questions about startup
1. When I start FC4, it checks a bunch things and start a bunch of things before it gets to the login screen. How do I know/control what get run during this time?
2. After I log in, usually a few application starts automatically. I never set any of them to start, and different (seemingly random) things starts every time. It seems to happen in KDE more often than Gnome. How do I know/control what starts?
3. I would have settings for all the different programs. Sometimes it remebers my setting and sometimes it doesn't (again seeming random). How do I "save" a setting so it'll look exactly like that everytime. (Konqueror and Firefox seem to be the most problematic)
Thank you for your patience in advance.
1) These are a number of scripts stored in /etc/init.d (or possibly, /etc/init.#, where # is the runlevel you're booting into). You can modify these scripts or add your own, but if you add their own, I believe you will need to modify another file as well.
2) Try checking the Control Centers for each of these DE's. There's probably a setting there for Startup stuff.
3) Not entirely sure what you mean...
12-01-2005 #33) Not entirely sure what you mean...
Alrighty. I remember having this issue sometime before. Try this:
- Make whatever changes to your settings that you want
- In Konqueror, select Settings --> Save View Profile
That should save your changes to THAT profile. For example, your file management and web browsing profiles are different. So you would need to make changes to both.
- Join Date
- Jan 2005
- Chicago (USA)
Note that's only on Fedora.
2. 'kcmshell kcmsmserver' for KDE.
- Join Date
- May 2004
///this use to look better
Yes. The link very helpful, and it answered my first question very well.
In Konqueror, select Settings --> Save View Profile
Why does autorun (the cd mounting program) open a Konqueror every time. I don't want to see it.