Find the answer to your Linux question:
After doing some google search, I still cannot quite find the answer. Maybe I am not searching with the correct key words. The questions are all related, and somewhat unrelated. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Newbie questions about startup

After doing some google search, I still cannot quite find the answer. Maybe I am not searching with the correct key words. The questions are all related, and somewhat unrelated.

1. When I start FC4, it checks a bunch things and start a bunch of things before it gets to the login screen. How do I know/control what get run during this time?
    2. After I log in, usually a few application starts automatically. I never set any of them to start, and different (seemingly random) things starts every time. It seems to happen in KDE more often than Gnome. How do I know/control what starts?
    3. I would have settings for all the different programs. Sometimes it remebers my setting and sometimes it doesn't (again seeming random). How do I "save" a setting so it'll look exactly like that everytime. (Konqueror and Firefox seem to be the most problematic)

Thank you for your patience in advance.

1) These are a number of scripts stored in /etc/init.d (or possibly, /etc/init.#, where # is the runlevel you're booting into). You can modify these scripts or add your own, but if you add their own, I believe you will need to modify another file as well.

2) Try checking the Control Centers for each of these DE's. There's probably a setting there for Startup stuff.

3) Not entirely sure what you mean...

3) Not entirely sure what you mean...
    For example, I run Konqueror. I can enable "navigation panel" and I can choose to view all the files as "with small icons". But, I have to set it everytime I run the program. I want to have remeber what settings I had last time.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Alrighty. I remember having this issue sometime before. Try this:

- Make whatever changes to your settings that you want
    - In Konqueror, select Settings --> Save View Profile

That should save your changes to THAT profile. For example, your file management and web browsing profiles are different. So you would need to make changes to both.

Linux Engineer
    1. system-config-display
    Note that's only on Fedora.

2. 'kcmshell kcmsmserver' for KDE.

Linux Guru
    This link might be informative, particularly starting from "4.2.4. Init".
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Yes. The link very helpful, and it answered my first question very well.
    Thank you.

In Konqueror, select Settings --> Save View Profile
    This seems to work.

Why does autorun (the cd mounting program) open a Konqueror every time. I don't want to see it.