Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have two hard drives, 30GB & 60GB, that were pulled out of a Windows machine (NTFS). I want to add them to an existing Linux computer (Suse 9.3). ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    sbn
    Just Joined!

Adding NTFS drive to existing Linux computer

Hi, I have two hard drives, 30GB & 60GB, that were pulled out of a Windows machine (NTFS). I want to add them to an existing Linux computer (Suse 9.3). Problem is there is data on the 30GB I want to save. I assume that adding in the drives I would need to re-partition them correct? What would happen generally adding NTFS volumes?

At the very least I was thinking I could add the drives and then boot up with WinPE CD and copy the files over.

Linux Engineer
    Just add the drive and linux will automatically detect it and assign it a dev designation depending on what ide channel you use and whether its master or slave. For example if you connect the drive as a slave drive to the first ide channel, the one where your main harddrive is master, then it will be set to /dev/hdb, with a number after it according to its partition. Make sure you set the external jumper to set the drive as slave.

Make a mount point and then manually mount the drive:

mkdir /mnt/ntfs
    mount -t ntfs /dev/hdb1 /mnt/ntfs

You shoiuld be able to read the drive with no problem; however, to write to it you will probably have to recompile your kernel with ntfs write support built in; however, you can backup your data onto an ext3 drive, and then mkfs a new filesystem, if you want to go away from ntfs, linux's write support for ntfs is not without some problem
    Operating System: GNU Emacs