Find the answer to your Linux question:
Totally new to Linux. At the moment Linux sort of works. Internet and Open Office appears to work. No Sound, and I've not been able to get the email to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up emails Newbie!

Totally new to Linux.
    At the moment Linux sort of works. Internet and Open Office appears to work. No Sound, and I've not been able to get the email to work well.

My aims are modest. I would like to use Thunderbird on Linux, play music and put CDs on to MP3 on the computer.

I get confused with all the user names and passwords. As the router works on XP I suppose I need to concentrate on the Linux end. I also struggle which is the host? for setting up the email on Linux. At the moment I use Kmail. is it something like syd mail.. which is what the Internet provider uses, my ADSL address at the provider, my email addess, or my linux user name?
    There must be a guide for setting up emails that I could go through bit by bit.

On windows I use an old program called AudioCatalyst to put CDs to MP3. It suits me because it is so simple. There must be something similar on Linux.
    Any tips would be good.

My computer.
    I have a Pentium 4 1.3; 2 hard drives80 and 40 gig;XP on one;setting up Suse 10.0 on the other Grub bootloader. At the same time started using a Web Excel ADSL2/2+Router. Having used an ADSL one that went off when the computer turned off.
    Recently installed Firefox,Thunderbird, and Opon office on XP. Everything on XP works.

setting up kmail is fairly simple.click on settings -> configure kmail

click on accounts -> add account & put in the information provided by your isp

e.g. pop.yourisp. wherever
    smtp.yourisp.wherever
    entering your email address & password where necessary

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Linux User

Re: Setting up emails Newbie!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff99
    Totally new to Linux.
    At the moment Linux sort of works. Internet and Open Office appears to work. No Sound, and I've not been able to get the email to work well.
    No sounds
    God must be boring...Just do :
    Code:
    lspci -v | grep audio
    in normal user. U should have something like that:
    Code:
    0000:00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 Audio (rev a2)
    Then paste it here and make a google search to find out which module need to be loaded (in my case it's snd_intel8x0) then u must check if this mod is ever loaded so type:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep the_module_u_think_u_must_have
    For me on a fresh sarge install it gives (the mod is there I've got sound:
    Code:
    # lsmod | grep snd_intel8x0
    snd_intel8x0           35988  0
    snd_ac97_codec         73220  1 snd_intel8x0
    snd_pcm               100876  1 snd_intel8x0
    snd_page_alloc         12944  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
    gameport                5120  1 snd_intel8x0
    snd_mpu401_uart         8192  1 snd_intel8x0
    snd                    56936  7 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
    If nothing appears to u during that command, try to load the module thanks to insmod. And if the module cant be found generally u need to recompile the kernel...