Find the answer to your Linux question:
I don't remember much of the rest of this error, but it's soon after init is started that I get it. It says that it passes fsck and is clean, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

"can't mount / read/write :("

I don't remember much of the rest of this error, but it's soon after init is started that I get it. It says that it passes fsck and is clean, than it gives this error: "can't mount / read/write " and states something about mountroot

i'm using gentoo with the JFS filesystem.

my computer was just recently booting fine but started giving me this problem soon after i had finished updating it. this is a fresh gentoo install with few packages installled now. i have previous experience with installing gentoo (i've installed it a few times successfully), and am new to using the JFS filesystem.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

What were you updating that caused this??
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    What were you updating that caused this??
    i updated the whole system, it was a fresh install so i thought i'd bring it up to date. i do use the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" option in /etc/make.conf though...but i've never had a problem using it yet (and i've been using it, prior to this installation, for almost 8 months like that).

my guess would be that it was probably coreutils that did it....but i'm not sure why i think that (i think mountroot might be part of this package...???).

anyways, i've since given up on JFS...i've had none of these problems when using reiserfs so i'm going back to what i've found to be tried and true.

if this happens again with reiserfs, i think i'm going to cry. i've been installing/fixing my gentoo installations for over a week now....and it's exam week coming up

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    i'm back to using reiserfs and have no problems at all...this leads me to believe that something with JFS was the problem.

if JFS still that much in the testing phase? so much so that it may very well prevent a system from starting up? or did i just do something wrong when setting my system up to use JFS? i added "ro" to the kernel options in grub, i installed jfsutils, and i compiled support for jfs into the kernel. is there something i might have missed? i was interested in JFS for its speed....as i've seen benchmarks and it seems a little faster than reiserfs. enough so, that i thought it would be worth trying, especially since i was starting a fresh install.

can someone shed some light on this for me?

who uses JFS successfully? should i give it another shot? if so, what should i have done differently?

what seems to happen is, my computer starts up fine at the first boot, but gives me the error found in my first post for every subsequent boot....rendering my system useless.

thanks in advance!!