Find the answer to your Linux question:
I hope that I'm not doing something silly but on all honesty that's probably the case. Every time I try to run a program via the GUI the status bar ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Programs won't Run

I hope that I'm not doing something silly but on all honesty that's probably the case. Every time I try to run a program via the GUI the status bar says "Executing <Program Name>" but it never actually does anything.

Any suggestions?

what happens when you run from command line. Please also give program name(s) and what exactly you mean from gui status bar. Are you talking about something like konqueror and are you clicking on icon, or application like menu?
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

I htink he means like, press alt + f2 to get the run menu thingy up and type the program in there, but im nto sure

He mean to run from the console. Open a console and type the name of one program. If you could enter in X, then your programs should run... maybe you've tried a name of a program that dosen't exist. Try to enter first letters and press TAB. If nothing appear press TAB two times and you will see all programs that start with those letters.

Linux Newbie
    What GUI are you using? Xserver, I'd assume. What DE, what WM? KDE? Gnome? *box? Xfce? Enlightenment? More information is needed!
    --Dachnaz [Fuzzy Llama]

Just Joined!
    I'm using Xfce. The program I'm trying to run is called SciTE (Scintilla Text Editor, excellent for scripting!) and I am clicking the icon within the application(SciTE) folder.

The status bar is in much the same place as the one in Windows. I'm using the File Explorer program and the status bar generally says "Zenwalk" however, when I double click on the link it changes to "Executing SciTE" but it never actually does anything. CPU graph in the Xfce panel doesn't do anything.

Try executing it from the command line to see if you get any errors.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    "error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object: No such file or directory..."

This would be bad, i take it...