Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi, I've downloaded linuxq3ademo-1.11-6.x86.gz.sh from the id software site. From Konsole I typed ./linuxq3ademo-1.11-6.x86.gz.sh Another screen came up with the message 'Verifying archive integrity' then disappeared. What do I do????...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Quake III

Hi, I've downloaded linuxq3ademo-1.11-6.x86.gz.sh from the id software site.
    From Konsole I typed ./linuxq3ademo-1.11-6.x86.gz.sh
    Another screen came up with the message 'Verifying archive integrity' then disappeared.
    What do I do????

Did you run it as root?

Just Joined!
    Yep. What should I be seeing?
    'SU' to run as root right?

Just Joined!
    I'm only running SUSE a couple of days, these sh files are shell files is it?
    What do they do? Is that like an executable in Windows?

You use
    su -
    to run it as root, are you sure there are only 1 .sh file? it doesn't seem right to me, where did you get it from?

Linux User
    Quake 3 on Linux,
    http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/q3a/

This site (run by Id Software I believe) details installing Quake 3 on Linux what files you need to do so, where to get them, and also coverts some proplems you may run into. .

Actually the name of the file you want to Install the full version Quake 3 On linux is: linuxq3apoint-1.32b-3.x86.run which you can download from Id Softwares' ftp.: ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake3/linux/ Installing hte full version of Quake 3 on Linux requires you to have a original Game CD ecause you will need the pak files from the CD.

happy fraggin !!
    far...out

Just Joined!
    Hi, it's just the demo I want to download to try out. Downloaded it from the link on the id software site http://www.idsoftware.com/games/quak...e_section=demo

That's the same file as shown on that ftp link you gave me farslayer. (The one that's not the full version)

Just Joined!
    Eh.... I'm all a bit new at this but if .sh is a shell file that executes and .gz is a zip file then the .sh bit is meant to unzip the file?
    So... is it possible to just ignore the .sh and unzip manually?

Quote Originally Posted by pockets23
    Eh.... I'm all a bit new at this but if .sh is a shell file that executes and .gz is a zip file then the .sh bit is meant to unzip the file?
    So... is it possible to just ignore the .sh and unzip manually?
    No. An .sh file is a shell script that runs a series of commands on your computer, one of which (in this case) happens to be an unzip command. No two shell scripts are identical, and not all shell scripts will run an unzip command. For example, this is a shell script:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    echo Hello World
    All it does is display "Hello World". The SH file for the Quake installer does a lot more than just unzip a file, therefore trying to install it manually by just unzipping it isn't going to work.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Ahhh...
    So the solution is???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast