Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know an RPM is a binary package, but what does it do exactly? Is it basically a file that someone has created from the sourcecode after doing a "./configure ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RPM Theory question

I know an RPM is a binary package, but what does it do exactly?

Is it basically a file that someone has created from the sourcecode after doing a "./configure && make && make install".

Then that person just gathered up all the files it installed along with each path so that each file goes in the right location once the RPM is run?

Or is it something completely different?

The reason I'm asking is that I can find RPM's for Suse 9.3 for the program I would like to install, but not for Suse 10.0.

If my theory is right, just about any Suse RPM should be able to be installed.

Please let me know if I am wrong before I blowup my system.

A couple resources to help you satisfy your intellectual curiosity.

The project page: http://www.rpm.org/

A good online book: http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/

As for the specific point:
    If my theory is right, just about any Suse RPM should be able to be installed.

Please let me know if I am wrong before I blowup my system.
    Sounds good in theory, but may get you into trouble. Rpms generally depend on specific versions of other installed rpms. So those will likely differ between SuSE 9.3 and 10.

Most likely you will not be able to install the 9.3 rpm on 10, and even if you are it may create dependency issues later on when you find 10 software to install.

Finally, what is the rpm you're looking for that you can't find for 10? You've already searched the cds/dvd, right?

You may want to look into checkinstall. This will create an rpm for you from the source code.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    To answer anomie's question I'm tring to install libraries for a DVD ripper.

More specifically a perl frontend to transcode

NOTE: This is for LEGAL copies of my own DVDs so I can access them without finding them and putting them into my multimedia PC. (yes I know I'm lazy)

I have checked the CD's and the repositories from Opensuse.org but they do not have what I am looking for, or won't find it. (well at least Yast2 yells at me and give me a list of files I don't have.)

I found the 9.3 RPMs on RPMfind.net.

http://packman.links2linux.org/?action=index
    there are a lot of audio and dvd related packages for almost every recent SuSE version. I don't know what package you want but maybe it is on that page
    I\'m so tired .....