Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I just wanted to say first that this is theLinux distro that I am gonna use and that's PCLinuxOS 0.92. I tried a few out there and am sticking ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

PCLinuxOS Help needed

Hello. I just wanted to say first that this is theLinux distro that I am gonna use and that's PCLinuxOS 0.92. I tried a few out there and am sticking with this. What I am having some trouble with so far is the Synaptic Update feature . It won't let me reload when I click on it. It shows that it needs 6 packages but then freezes and does nothing. I can surf the web all fine and even when this is going on. I also want ed to let you know this is a clean install. I only installed Wine

Linux User
    Try updaing the system from the command line instead of using Synaptic, and see if it gives you any more useful errors so you can figurte out WHY it is hanging.. Synaptic is just a graphical front end for apt anyway.

open a shell

su -
    <password>
    # apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

watch for errors or update servers it is hanging on, this should help you determine where the problem is.
    far...out

Just Joined!
    Go to PCLinuxosonline and see if your repositories are OK. Check settings>repositories in Synaptic. How did you know you needed 6 updates without 'reload' working? Did you click on 'Mark All Upgrades', then Apply, then 'Apply' after it tells you what will be upgraded/installed? Need more details of what you did. I do know they had an issue with the ibiblio repositories some time back. Your best bet is to send Texstar 20 bucks for all his wonderful commitment to this distro and then you'll get an email with an update to your sources list which will send you to a better download update server. This is what I did and it's 20 bucks well spent. I've been trying distros out for 2 years and I've decided to stick with this one. Good luck. Reply if you need more help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close