Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have duel boot XP and FC4. I got wine to read my XP ntfs drive. Some programs work, and some don't. I don't really know why. Does anyone know ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wine, XP, and ntfs

I have duel boot XP and FC4.
    I got wine to read my XP ntfs drive. Some programs work, and some don't. I don't really know why. Does anyone know why?? (IE, outlook, MS Office doesn't work).

I am also thinking of changing my XP from ntfs to fat32, so wine and read AND WRITE to it. I am just wondering what are the disadventages of running XP with fat32 format??

Thank you.

Re: Wine, XP, and ntfs

Quote Originally Posted by bonniehandi
    I have duel boot XP and FC4.
    I got wine to read my XP ntfs drive. Some programs work, and some don't. I don't really know why. Does anyone know why?? (IE, outlook, MS Office doesn't work).
    Although WINE is a well-meaning project that offers some ability to run some MS Windows programs in Linux, it should not be confused with a commercial product that offers any guarantees. In my experience, nothing more complicated than Solitaire.exe will run well using plain WINE.

If you must run larger apps like Office, you might consider running it in something like Crossover Office by Codeweavers. Personally I would suggest using a native office suite like OpenOffice unless you simply *must* run MS Office.

I am also thinking of changing my XP from ntfs to fat32, so wine and read AND WRITE to it. I am just wondering what are the disadventages of running XP with fat32 format??

Thank you.
    This was discussed a while back and there are an awful lot of drawbacks to running FAT32 Windows instead of NTFS. I can't remember them all, but hold on and I'm sure someone will link to the information.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

http://www.theeldergeek.com/ntfs_or_...ile_system.htm - This highlights some of the differences.

You should consider setting up an extra partition formatted as fat. This way, it will be accessible through Windows and Linux and both OSes can have read and write permissions.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

OK. Maybe installing XP on FAT32 is a bad idea (as I already have a D drive in FAT32 for the purpose of file exchange).

The main/only reason for using wine is to run Outlook Express for my 5 hotmail accounts, and Gotmail didn't exactly work out (and it doesn't exactly achieve what I want it to do). I already have Gmail, just it take some time for the switch over. If there is another way for me to check my 5 hotmail accounts, then I won't even have to deal with this problem with wine.