Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am planning on trying it, but I want to make sure of one or 2 things before I start downloading it (it is 14 disks after all). The first ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    kbk

Question about Debian

I am planning on trying it, but I want to make sure of one or 2 things before I start downloading it (it is 14 disks after all). The first and most important question I have is, will my monitor work. I have a generic Dell monitor, and in the past I have had trouble with it. It won't work with Ubuntu, or Yoper. So I wonder if it will work with Debian. I never found out if it worked with Slackware or not, and I know that it works in KNOPPIX and SuSE. If more information is needed I will supply it to the best of my ability.

Linux Guru
    Debian is great, with pretty good hardware detection, in my experience. I know you don't need all 14 CDs to install Debian. I installed from one CD from a magazine and that was pretty complete. Anything else can be pulled from the internet after you have a working system.

Before you install Debian, it may be helpful to run Knoppix (since that worked for you) and then to copy or print out the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf and also the output of the commands 'lsmod' ("list modules") and 'lspci' ("list pci" components). Look through the xorg.conf file to see how Knoppix has identified and setup your video adapter and screen so you can then try editing Debian's xorg.conf if Debian doesn't get it right the first time.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

kbk
    Alright, that sounds easy enough. Another thing I was wondering is, does Debian come with a working version of Ndiswrapper. When I tried SuSE Ndiswrapper that came with it wouldn't work, and when I tried to install it I had a ton of problems.

Linux Guru
    Sorry, can't help. I'd suggest you search these forums (it's come up a few times) or start a new thread with "Ndiswrapper" in the subject line.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

kbk
    I suppose I'll make a new thread...I'm too used to forums where everone gets pissed when you start a new thread that has been discussed, so I am always hesitant.

Linux Guru
    I haven't used other forums much, but my sense from other users' is that this forum traditionally is a bit less edgy than many others. But searching is always best, if for nothing else but to be able to ask well. So go here first and then start a new thread with confidence if necessary.

Re: your X windows configuration: I remembered that Debian tends to run behind other distros, so they don't yet use "xorg.conf", but instead "XF86Config-4", as far as I know. They are the same, so far, with the same path: /etc/X11/

Cheers~
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Just Joined!
    kbk,
    I would say that if you have a broadband connection or other such highspeed internet connection that they best thing would be to download the NET install iso from Debian. It will install the minimal system and then pulls the rest from the mirror you select during the install itself. It saves you from having to get multiple disks and you can add the packages you need after the install. For instance if you choose the Desktop Environment during the install it will download all that it needs to set that up.

For ndiswrapper there is a version that you can use for Debian, but I am not an expert on how it works as I have never used ndiswrapper.

Your monitor should work with debian, but if you have problems during the install you can post a message on the Debian Linux Help forum here at linuxforums.org. The following link will take you there.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/forum-37.html

cheers
    -crypto

kbk
    I can't do a net install. I have wireless on this computer and it's my only option, and since I need NDISwrapper to get the internet working, I need to have it installed.

Linux User
    You should be able to complete a basic install with just the first CD or first dvd, all the basics and GUI should be there. then get the network running and add any applications you want via the net...

CD 14 contains the ndiswrapper
    far...out

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by kbk
    I can't do a net install. I have wireless on this computer and it's my only option, and since I need NDISwrapper to get the internet working, I need to have it installed.
    Sorry kbk, I was thinking that you were gonna load it and then install the wireless card, I did not know the wireless was the only thing you had.

In that case what farslayer said should work!