Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all some of my file with the ~ at the back of the file name, what is it for? Appointment.php~...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

file with ~

hi all
    some of my file with the ~ at the back of the file name, what is it for?
    Appointment.php~
    Proper Planing is a way of success

It's some kind of swap file that appears after you edit the file using a graphical editor, as far as I know.

I could be wrong here.

Normally when you have
    Appointment.php~
    you have
    Appointment.php
    too.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by antidrugue
    It's some kind of swap file that appears after you edit the file using a graphical editor, as far as I know.

I could be wrong here.

Normally when you have
    Appointment.php~
    you have
    Appointment.php
    too.
    I think u r right !

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I believe that all the files that have a ~ represent previous versions of the file. So every time you save any given file, a file with its same name, and a ~ at the end is created in the same directory. I believe this is true, but i am not 100% sure.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommaso
    I believe that all the files that have a ~ represent previous versions of the file. So every time you save any given file, a file with its same name, and a ~ at the end is created in the same directory. I believe this is true, but i am not 100% sure.
    it wont affect anything if i delete it, right?

Files with a '~' at the end are usually always backup files -- the program you use to edit the file creates an automatic backup of the file when you save the file -- the original file is renamed with the '~' added - and then the new file (original name) is written. If a file with the '~' already exists, it is first deleted (or written over by the rename operation). You may have an option in the program to turn this feature on or off.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by ISOS
    Files with a '~' at the end are usually always backup files -- the program you use to edit the file creates an automatic backup of the file when you save the file -- the original file is renamed with the '~' added - and then the new file (original name) is written. If a file with the '~' already exists, it is first deleted (or written over by the rename operation). You may have an option in the program to turn this feature on or off.
    ic, thks