Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like the topic says, i'm trying to install 3 OS'. I have 3 hardrives. I was thinking of putting XP on drive #1, drive #2 would contain Kubuntu and Gentoo ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Triple Booting With 3 Drives?

Like the topic says, i'm trying to install 3 OS'. I have 3 hardrives. I was thinking of putting XP on drive #1, drive #2 would contain Kubuntu and Gentoo and my third drive is storage (which is already full). This is my plan, but wanted to know if there was a better way of making a triple boot computer.

Is there a guide anywhere on doing this (I already Googled it).

Thank you.

This is a perfectly reasonable way to triple boot. It's important to install XP first, as it will take control away from any linux installation you already have. Also, make sure you only install one version of grub (for either kubuntu or gentoo, it doesn't matter) to the MBR. Take notes along the way of the designations of all your partitions -- for example gentoo's root partition is on hdb1, etc. -- so you can set up the bootloaders afterwards.

Before you start this you should think hard about how much space each installation will require, and think about how you want to partition the drives.

Good luck -- let us know how it went!
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

i have quad-booted my system before...it works and works well.
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Linux Guru
    For multi-booting, it helps alot to have a /boot/ partition which can then be shared by all distros. Put the /boot/ partition on the boot device (the drive you will boot to). When you install other distros, do not create a /boot/ partition, but instead let the installer create a /boot/ directory. You will then be able to chainload the second, third,... distro with the bootloader created in your first distro.

You should have only one swap partition which will be shared by each distro.

As for guidance on dealing with problems, search these forums, because this has been discussed alot. Don't share any partitions other than /boot/ and swap (except of course for non-system files). Read about Grub's 'map' and 'hide' commands for use in fixing problems booting Windows and use those commands as search terms to find answers here.

Think about what filesystem format you want for each partition: ext2 is fine for /boot/. Reiserfs is a good choice for the system partitions. Best choice for your shared files partition depends on what you store there.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the information. I think I know how to do this now, but not quite sure.

We'll see

Edit: And which is better ans easier, Grub or LILO?

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Glass Casket
    And which is better ans easier, Grub or LILO?
    More questions about Grub come up here, so either Grub is more popular or LILO is fool-proof. Learn about both here.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

\"TTFN Taa Taa For Now\" by Tigger in Winnie the Pooh
    http://www.distrowatch.com Linux Distros
    We Live in a Windows World but there is Linux to save the day

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by cheetahman
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56146

This might help
    Thank you.