Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
hi all, i cannot see all the people who is on a LAN by using neither these two commands Code: who Code: user is it any other commands available, or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    234

    see all users currently in the LAN


    hi all,
    i cannot see all the people who is on a LAN by using neither these two commands
    Code:
    who
    Code:
    user
    is it any other commands available, or it is restricted by the root user?
    Proper Planing is a way of success

  2. #2
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    326
    Those only show you who is logged into the machine you are on... so unless you are the admin and are on the server that handles authentication for the entire network. I doubt you will be successful with those commands.

    man who
    who - show who is logged on


    man users
    users - print the user names of users currently logged in to the current host
    far...out

  3. #3
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    234
    As a conclusion, a normal Linux in Linux really can't do much

    Quote Originally Posted by farslayer
    Those only show you who is logged into the machine you are on... so unless you are the admin and are on the server that handles authentication for the entire network. I doubt you will be successful with those commands.

    man who
    who - show who is logged on


    man users
    users - print the user names of users currently logged in to the current host
    Proper Planing is a way of success

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    Linux Guru anomie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,692
    Eh, you want to see all users currently on the LAN (as in all machines on your same network)? Or you want to see all users logged into your machine?

    If the latter, use
    Code:
    w

  6. #5
    Linux Engineer
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    908
    You can use the "w" command too, it's very similar to the "who" command.
    Last edited by serz; 12-20-2005 at 02:34 AM.
    serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

  7. #6
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by anomie
    Eh, you want to see all users currently on the LAN (as in all machines on your same network)? Or you want to see all users logged into your machine?

    If the latter, use
    Code:
    w
    I want to see all users currently on the LAN (as in all machines on your same network), so w is not the one that i'm looking for
    Proper Planing is a way of success

  8. #7
    Linux Guru anomie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,692
    You'll probably want something like nmap then: http://www.insecure.org/nmap/index.html

    You can easily scan entire networks to detect the presence of other machines.

  9. #8
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by anomie
    You'll probably want something like nmap then: http://www.insecure.org/nmap/index.html

    You can easily scan entire networks to detect the presence of other machines.
    thks for ur suggestion
    Proper Planing is a way of success

  10. #9
    Linux Engineer
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    908
    ping -b 192.168.0.255 should work just fine
    serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

  11. #10
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by serz
    ping -b 192.168.0.255 should work just fine
    it has not give me any reply, what is the reason for doing this?
    Proper Planing is a way of success

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •